New Boiler - Recycled Copper Safety Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillM

Reaction score
I'm about to make a new boiler and I was wondering if there are any safety concerns with using a piece of scrap copper for the drainage feed (i.e. stuff I can pick up from the recycler vs buying new stuff).

Does copper just clean up, or does it keep some of the nasties it may have been previously used for?

Thanks in advance.

I'm about to make a new boiler and I was wondering if there are any safety concerns with using a piece of scrap copper for the drainage feed (i.e. stuff I can pick up from the recycler vs buying new stuff).

Does copper just clean up, or does it keep some of the nasties it may have been previously used for?

Thanks in advance.
What sort of scrap copper are you talking about?
I have an old copper hot water system tank that will be turned into a new boiler/kettle soon, I don't have any issues using that as it has only ever been used to hold water. On the other hand I would not try and re-use second hand copper from a refrigeration system, too many nasties floating around that I would not want to stake my health on.

I'm guessing you taking about pipe? It's perfectly ok to use recycled copper BUT look at it closely. Look for pitting, scaling and stress. If you can slightly bend it in both directions and have closer look for stress cracking and alike, if it does don't buy it. Copper as it ages will go brittle. So if you intend to bend it in any fashion for get more pain than what it is worth.

To be honest a 1m length of anealed copper is 2 knobs of ferk all from a plumbing supply shop.

Thanks guys, yes I am talking about pipe and there is telling what has been through it - refrigeration chemicals or car radiators.

The pipe would be used for the bottom of a boiler / mash tun as a strainer and also a wort chiller.

I'm guessing it will clean up with some citric acid or vinegar, but as you suggested, might be better to just buy some new stuff.

Pssst. I don't want to come across as telling anyone off but for the sake of correct brewing terminology it's called a kettle. A boiler is used for steam production.

Onya

tdh

Pssst. I don't want to come across as telling anyone off but for the sake of correct brewing terminology it's called a kettle. A boiler is used for steam production.

Onya

tdh

I thought a kettle was used to make tea.

Any insight on the copper question tdh?

Just clean it up and it should be fine. wash it with some caustic soda solution (wear gloves) or ammonia, this should remove some copper salts that may be present and turn the solution a cool blue color, then rinse thoroughly with some distilled water and dry.

Aaron

Thanks guys, yes I am talking about pipe and there is telling what has been through it - refrigeration chemicals or car radiators.

The pipe would be used for the bottom of a boiler / mash tun as a strainer and also a wort chiller.

I'm guessing it will clean up with some citric acid or vinegar, but as you suggested, might be better to just buy some new stuff.

personally i wouldnt take the risk, how much are you going to be using? what size pipe? if you intend to use fittings, then refrigeration fittings arent the same as plumbing fittings etc. half inch copper really isnt that expensive. the cost of dumping your first beer if its shit because of it will more than cover the difference. not to mention the potential health hazards.

Lobo

Brewing kettles are still called 'coppers' by many brewers. Ain't nothing wrong with using a copper in the brewing process. Just brush the verdigris off if any forms.

tdh

My understanding is it is one of the most recyclable metals. It cleans with acidic solution (fairly certain alkaline and oxidisers are no good for it) so your vinegar/ citric acid idea is a good one.

What are the potential health hazrds people are referring to?

Latest posts

Back