New bloke from Darwin

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilson

Reaction score
Hi everyone its stinking hot up here!

I've been brewing beer in a can for the last 7 years and have now decided to move onto AG brewing in the form of BIAB set up using a 58 L keg.
I'm having a few problems getting my head around some recipes in regards to adjusting the water volume and/or grain bill to get the final wort volume I'm after but I'm sure that I'll find the answers here!

Cheers for any help

a loose fit is 1kg grain gives 1% alc in a 23L, (that's possibly why we have a 23L fermenter). so at 58L, about 2.4kg (23Lx 2.4 ish = 58L) will give the same (ish) for a 58L fill. so if you want a 4% abv beer, then i'd throw about 9.6kg grain at it. (4kg for a 23L brew x about 2.4) mash water is about 3:1, so about 29L water (9.6kg x3), on a 4% beer. that's loosely it,
that's me on a loose fit, and i'm sure there are brewers out there with better calcs and web calculators to go to, but as a rough guide if you're in a hurry to go, then that should work. and the maths are loosely off the top of my head - a calculator will pin it.

Hi butisitart

Thanks for the info, I think I'll have a go on one of the calculators, can anyone recommend a good one for BIAB? as there seems to be many to choose from on the net.

Also does any one know of a grain supplier in Darwin? I'm not having much luck with the local HBS and freight to the NT costs are killer!

Cheers for any info

Hi Wilson,

For grain, onemilebrewery.com.au. Check the contact details out there. Stuart there is fantastic, and wow can they brew beer. There are a few places around that have their beer on tap. For grain, they sell by the kilo.
As far as brew software I use beersmith2 it has the options of scaling from recipes to your individual set up
Hope you are enjoying Darwin in the build down. We have had a lousy wet. But good drinking weather.

Wilson said:
Hi butisitart

Thanks for the info, I think I'll have a go on one of the calculators, can anyone recommend a good one for BIAB? as there seems to be many to choose from on the net.

Also does any one know of a grain supplier in Darwin? I'm not having much luck with the local HBS and freight to the NT costs are killer!

Cheers for any info
Darwin Homebrewing and One Mile can supply grain and other brewing supplies - http://darwinhomebrewing.com.au/

Cheers Old Bloke and Welly2

I just checked out the One Mile Brewery and I'm not sure how I've missed this but thanks heaps guys for letting me know about it. I'll give there beers a try to next time I pass the Precinct bar!

I just downloaded BeerSmith2 and started watching the vids

Thanks for all the help

Latest posts

Back