New again to home brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should I use cold water in my boil then? I've been filling my urn with hot water because it's already at the temperature I need...

Should I use cold water in my boil then? I've been filling my urn with hot water because it's already at the temperature I need...
I know its a fine line thinking sometimes. I know of descriptions of the growth that can develop in hot water systems. Then again growths can happen in the cold water plumbings as well.

So forth the All Grain brewing techniques. :cool:

Thanks every one for the help.

Think I found my problem.

I went through the whole after brew process this morning when I emptied a fermenter.

Afterwards took a look at it and found that I wasn't taking the tap out like some of you said. (im a dumb ass)

It still had a yellow ring in the thread so im thinking that is where the earthy/liquorice flavour is coming from.

Thinking about it. im drinking skanky old shit beer. Anyhoo I made my bed (beer) ill lay in it (drink it.)

I will repeat this for newbies.

Cleanliness is the key. Clean everything don't cut corners. pull it apart and chuck it in the cleaning solution.

That's again for everyone's help and suggestions. Made me take a second look at my process. That's why I joined a forum.

Takes a big man to admit his wrong.

Thank god on only short.

Ill post my other issue of low ABV in the kits section for help.

Step 1: Cleanliness is the key. Clean everything don't cut corners. pull it apart and chuck it in the cleaning solution.

Step 2: Sanitise everything!

Ok
Revisiting this one as the problem is was still happening and ive found what the problem is.
Ive been using tap hot water to get the dregs out of the tin.
Now i replaced my hot water system about 5 years ago so its not like its 20 years old.
But that is where my broblem is coming from.
I might put it in another thread for problems.
Cant quite put my finger on it flavour wise. But it adds a bitter kind of flavour the gets worse with time. It also makes the head off colour plus makes it fizz up..
Sometimes the first few days it tastes normal and then turns.
Been driving me nuts. Ive poured out about 20 kegs so far.
So in conclusion dont use tank hot water service water

Back