New Ag Brewery Ready To Roll

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpadden

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just finished putting together my new setup. Putting it through it's paces first thing tomorrow with a simple APA. This is my first AG rig, so am very excited. In fact I think this will be the first new years eve in a long while that I'll be in bed not long after midnight! Looking forward to the brew day much more than tonight!

I'll let you know how it goes :D

med_gallery_6652_403_80129.jpg

Oh - and best of luck, BTW!

Cheers - Mike

Nothing like the simple gravity fed esky mash tun... :)

They work brilliantly.. :D

I have been using the same type of setup for 4yrs...the only changes where that I made dedicated stand for the esky ( instead of milk crates) and a stand to enclose the burner under the kettle to stop the wind blowning the flame. Resulted in using a lot less gas.. :beerbang:

Backyard brewer crew!

DSC00353.jpg

one thing though, make sure you can get your wort out of that kettle into the fermenter, im lucky as i have three levels (esky tun sits on that top table in my pic too)...

good luck, you will love it!

yeah, break that mash paddle now to save time.

HNY!

Hi Guys,

Just finished putting together my new setup. Putting it through it's paces first thing tomorrow with a simple APA. This is my first AG rig, so am very excited. In fact I think this will be the first new years eve in a long while that I'll be in bed not long after midnight! Looking forward to the brew day much more than tonight!

I'll let you know how it goes :D

med_gallery_6652_403_80129.jpg

Good work Paddo but how are you planning to transfer to fermenter? Lift the (Cooled) boiler onto the table, syphon or what?
Just curious.

TP

Good work Paddo but how are you planning to transfer to fermenter? Lift the (Cooled) boiler onto the table, syphon or what?
Just curious.

TP

Damn good point and one that I've been thinking about. Did a trial run with everything yesterday and it wasn't too difficult to lift onto a stool and drain the whole lot from there.

Looks like another level will need to come into play b4 long though

Just curious - how does that table go with a full mashtun off-centre? You don't want that thing tipping over.

+1 for another level - you won't want to be lifting the kettle, although a few bricks/whatever under the burner and you could fit a cube/jerry can for no-chill. I ran my brand-spanking new AG setup through it's paces on Sunday (YAAAY! All-Grain 'Kablammo Beer' currently going nuts in the fermenter) with the kettle roughly the height of a sideways jerry can above the ground, and I can advise that it does get a little tricky to keep an eye on the burner.

All the best, Happy New Beer Everyone!

Great stuff Paddo, :beerbang:

Good luck with it all mate.

I too may be testing some new AG gear tomorrow!

It's gonna be a great 2009!

PB :party:

Good luck with the brew.
it will not really matter how the beer turns out it will taste good to you.
Have fun with it.

Hey Paddo , don't listen to the others about the mash paddle , i've been using mine for more than 10years now so it's all in the way you use it. THEY are obviously using their tools in the wrong way ! :lol:

Lagers

Looks like you are following in a long tradition with the hot water supply at the top, letting down into the mash tun that feeds down to the kettle, then down into the fermenter, then into kegs or bottles at the lowest level, and roll the finished brew out through the front door. :icon_cheers:

wadworth.jpg

Just curious - how does that table go with a full mashtun off-centre? You don't want that thing tipping over.

i mash on the exact same table (see pic) and have had a 50L esky full with 9KG grain in it and its stable. last weekend i mashed in my 120L esky on the table with 15KG in no probs. its temperd glass but yea i do think of it and it does scare me...brew frames on the way.

i mash on the exact same table (see pic) and have had a 50L esky full with 9KG grain in it and its stable. last weekend i mashed in my 120L esky on the table with 15KG in no probs. its temperd glass but yea i do think of it and it does scare me...brew frames on the way.

this is OT.
In a 50 L mash tun I can't get a double batch (around 9 to 10 k of grain) from 66 degrees or so up to 76 minimum for mash out. The 50 liter mash tun is full of water and temp is not achieved. How do you do it?
I do two mashes and one boil to be able to do it.
Cheers,
Bud

I'm not so much worried about the total weight on the frame, I'm worried about it tipping if you put a large mass too close to an edge without the leg support underneath, e.g. as placed in the pic. I'd guess that a slight push would tilt that thing over. Putting it in the centre would solve the problem.

Hey Paddo - it may just be the angle that the pic was taken at, but does your hosing from the mashtun to the kettle rise higher than the mashtun tap (to get over the handle ring on the keg)? If so you'll have trouble getting all the fluid out properly.

You may also want to invest in a longer gas hose and move your gas cylinder a little further away from the burner. 1800mm for under $20 at bunnings.

this is OT.
In a 50 L mash tun I can't get a double batch (around 9 to 10 k of grain) from 66 degrees or so up to 76 minimum for mash out. The 50 liter mash tun is full of water and temp is not achieved. How do you do it?
Cheers,
Bud

Budwiser,

Recommend you get yoursellf an immersion heater. Around $70\$90 & will solve your problem in a flash as you will only have to heat up your existing mash liquor to mashout temp instead of having to add more water.

TP :beer:

its temperd glass but yea i do think of it and it does scare me...brew frames on the way.

Noticed today in Bunnings (ballarat) that you can buy bbq frames. Measurements are 900mm(H) x 896mm(W) x 500mm(D). Didn't have a price and you know what it's like trying to find help in that place <_< .

Looks like a great way to construct your first brewframe, I'll definately look more closely at it in a few weeks...

this is OT.
Cheers,
Bud

No Mash out...just make sure your first sparge is near boiling (mash out is sort of a sparge anyway imo, i know it stops the conversion at 78 or whatever but your still rinsing grains), usually raises it up there, not quite 76 but close...oh and multiple sparges too...pain in the arse thats why i upgraded to a 120L, mashed 15KGS with a mashout last weekend and didnt even come close to full.

A great starting setup indeed. Am sure it shall go well.
I dare say my first setup will be similar using whatever is in the shed to create the gravity tiered levels!

Back