Never Ever Again With Us-05/1056

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, what a great read in this thread. Diacetyl is something I'm not good at detecting and it's interesting to read what effect people have had with different malts.

Like Tony and others have pointed out, it's not going to be a fault or a missed step in Tony's brewing process (seeing as he has a small bit of experience ;) ). I moved nearly 12 months ago from Toowoomba to Ipswich and while I haven't been able to brew much (thanks to mother nature), I've certainly noticed the difference that water chemistry and environment can make. With all the same equipment, same grain from the same bag, same hops / yeast etc, I've made beers now that are notably different (and different faults!).

I still like US05 as a plain yeast in basic beers but prefer 1272 in APA's, especially since it the flocculation is much better and it's a great match to hoppy beers.

Tony are you sure it's diacetyl ? I find US.56 highlights the malt profiles so much it can become honey like.

I
Batz
Batz
I use this yeast to make my faux lager at low temps. It does tend to finish sweet so it needs to be compensated in bittering calculations.
Never any Diacetyl, the result is amazing, you would never pick it as an Ale.
Nev

Batz
I use this yeast to make my faux lager at low temps. It does tend to finish sweet so it needs to be compensated in bittering calculations.
Never any Diacetyl, the result is amazing, you would never pick it as an Ale.
Nev

Makes a good fake Kolsch.

I dont have a prob with the diacetyl (butter like taste/smell) As I do D-rests.
but I do get a strange taste clove/sharp taste. Almost (but not quite) like an oxidised taste.

Its NOT an infection people- I'm super clean/serial. And I dont have a problem with any other strain.
Plus, the taste dissipates in the bottle/keg rather then getting worse (9-12months cellared).

Like I said, MANY other people make very nice beers with this strain...but I dont?
No matter what the pitch rate/pitch temp/ferment temp/grain bill/starter or not/dehydrated/dry pitch etc...

I only change one thing at a time if I make a bad batch of something. I do everything the same but one component. Hence, I made bad APA's until I swapped strains. Now I use all the recipes that failed with 1056/US05 and they are just fine.

It might just be me....or not?

"Id say those who say they never get are lucky ones who cant detect it."

I agree, Tony. In its strongest examples it's like working past the popcorn in a movie theatre, and that's a smell that makes me want to gag.

In low levels I generally notice it as a buttery slickness on the palate.

And when people start talking about honey flavours, that's 2,3-pentanedione (diacetyl is 2,3-butanedione) which may also be a yeast byproduct.

I am kind of with Jimboley on noticing a twang in my US05 beers, I guess it is like I mixed a small part of Carlton Draught in there, like a generic unpleasant 'beery' roughness. I am guessing this is some kind of sulphur compound/s.

My latest brew has been a terrific APA... Pilsner, Munich, Wheat & Carapils, with Galaxy & Hersbruker. I used US-05.
It was brewed at 18c (this Sydney/Blue Mountains weather has helped me a great deal with that) - 10 days in the fermenter. I kegged a bit over 1 week ago & initially I detected an aroma that I associated with honey - and without any suggestion from me that's what my mates thought too. But now another week down the track I can say it definately smells like butterscotch! Mind you it is not all the time. First pour of the day I can detect it, and if I let the beer sit and warm up just a bit (warm is relative... room temperature is 19c right now) and I stick my nose in a half full glass I can really pick it (the aroma of butterscotch .. not my nose! :lol: ... apoligies...it's after midnight .. puns are a tradition in my family when it gets late).

Anyway, I have never managed such a consistent temperature whilst fermenting before ... so usually I end up fermenting at 20 - 22c... & have never detected butterscotch until now (same/similar grain bills & less hoppy brews)... so anecdotally I can draw a conclusion that lower fermenting temps produce more diacetyl.

In my case, this level of diacetyl does not detract from my enjoyment of the beer, and the otherwise cleaner flavour from fermenting at the slightly lower temperature is a big plus as far as I am concerned.

Latest posts

Back