Neutral K & K Kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

furby83

Reaction score
Hey all,

what is the most flavor neutral K&K as i want to use it as a base the experiment with.

EDIT:

almost had an EPIC bottle bomb today. sealed my jerry can up too tight it blew up like a balloon lucky today was "checking day".
15L ginger beer BB what does that equate to in megatons? :p :p

if you want a real clean base to build up from id say the canadian blonde kit is hard to go past. got a few of these cheap a while back and have used them to make some pretty good beer.

from my K&K days, the coopers mexican cerveza was boring as bat shit! :D

Not sure if you know this or not, but most HBS sell liquid malt extract, so basically a kit without any added hops, if that's what you're after. You won't get them at kmart & Co though.

Not sure if you know this or not, but most HBS sell liquid malt extract, so basically a kit without any added hops, if that's what you're after. You won't get them at kmart & Co though.

would i treat it like a K&K.
dump in water
add sugar
add yeast
leave 1 week
drink

i'm going to make a 20L batch and split it up between 10 2L bottles right after pitching the yeast (or maybe a day or two) and then experiment in the bottles.
  • put hops in some (varying amounts)
  • put a flavor in some (lemon, ginger, coffee, some sort of fruit)
  • and figure something out for the rest.
  • maybe put the last of my port in one.

Edit for layout

+1. What type of experiment are you looking at doing with the kit? Are you adding more hops etc for flavour? Steeping grains? Both?

Edit: Bah! We posted at the same time almost, :D Got my answer!

i'm going to make a 20L batch and split it up between 10 2L bottles right after pitching the yeast (or maybe a day or two) and then experiment in the bottles.

You plan on fermenting in the bottles?

You plan on fermenting in the bottles?

dump in water
add sugar
add yeast
leave 1 week
drink

Edit for layout

I'm assuming you will be releasing the built up pressure in each bottle somehow?

If you are going to do this, i would have thought that pitching the yeast, stirring THOROUGHLY and quickly transferring to your bottles immediately is your best bet(therefore hopefully giving you the same amount of yeast in suspension in each bottle).

2-3 days after pitching you might get different fermentation results which would be pointless for your excercise in experimentation....

never tried to do this but it sounds a little dicey to me... but best of luck with it. Let us know what you discover!

@thefawnroux
i plan on treating each bottle like a mini fermenter and add a cling wrap airlock.
also i plan on containing them in one of those big plastic storage boxes (80 - 100L).

@Big Nath
see above for my plan on the bottles.
i agree about the yeast problem. i was thinking about leaving it a day to get started then give it a good stir.
the only reason I'm using my big fermenter is it's easier to decant from it. i could go from pot to bottle but it would be a b**ch to do.

I'm going to hit the HBS tomorrow and pickup some liquid malt extract for Sunday.

furby its not exactly the same as the normal kit and kilo. Think it might have been missed but are you aware you will need to bitter the liquid malt extract? A boil of a reasonable amount of hops for around 60 mins will be required to add bitterness. If you want to just explore hop flavours a pre-bittered can such as the canadian blonde or the cerveza might be more suited.

dump in water
add sugar
add yeast
leave 1 week
drink

Edit for layout

you can do all this, just be aware that you will get next to none bitterness in your beer from the hops. To get bitterness, you need to boil a certain amount of hops for a certain time (in short: boil less hops longer or more hops shorter, depending on variety and specs). You could however boil hops in a bit of water (or better: 1.040ish wort) and add the bitter liquid to your bottles.

However, for your experiment you might be better of with a 'bland' kit as suggested earlier in the thread.

Good luck with it, and keep us posted.

EDIT: same advice posted at the exact same minute, Keifer...

Ahh great minds think alike :icon_chickcheers:

you could call it your small batch brewing and might be the start of the brewing craze. Keep us posted.

J

doing a coopers Canadian with lotsa citra right now, Be ready in a couple of days.

I used 1 kit coopers canadian
1kg brew booster (it diidnt have the quantities written on it so I got rid of it with this batch)
1 250g Lager grain steeped
US-05 at 18c the whole way (very controlled temp!)
15g citra 20 mins
12g citra 5 mins

and might throw 5-10g of citra in tonight as dry hopping.

Its pretty nice so far, I made up the hops additions on the spot as no one would awsner my threads here about "how much hops"!!

although Id never consider brewing in the bottles!

Any reason why you thought you would try this?
No knocking or anything just curios

doing a coopers Canadian with lotsa citra right now, Be ready in a couple of days.

I used 1 kit coopers canadian
1kg brew booster (it diidnt have the quantities written on it so I got rid of it with this batch)
1 250g Lager grain steeped
US-05 at 18c the whole way (very controlled temp!)
15g citra 20 mins
12g citra 5 mins

and might throw 5-10g of citra in tonight as dry hopping.

Its pretty nice so far, I made up the hops additions on the spot as no one would awsner my threads here about "how much hops"!!

although Id never consider brewing in the bottles!

Any reason why you thought you would try this?
No knocking or anything just curios

i'm brewing in the bottles so i can "mix it up" add flavors, use different or add extra sugar, different hops, blending.
it's a big experiment.

if i do it in the bottle, if one 2L bottle batch "sucks ass" (see: :icon_vomit: ) it's only 2L not 23L

i'm brewing in the bottles so i can "mix it up" add flavors, use different or add extra sugar, different hops, blending.
it's a big experiment.

if i do it in the bottle, if one 2L bottle batch "sucks ass" (see: :icon_vomit: ) it's only 2L not 23L

Cool, let us know how the experiment worked!

Ive played around with 2l bottles with yeast before, unfortunately the ones I tried failed, tasted pretty bad! (I was trying fruit juice's, yeah bound to come up with varied results, most'y bad)
But hey, good luck!

will hopefully be starting this weekend. I'll have enough bottles by then.

i also have parts to make a bottle to bottle filter (see also gardening section).

I'm using an inline filter used in irrigation but I'm thinking of taking out the filter bit and putting cotton wool or maybe chux cloths in there so i don't contaminate the flavors

Back