Neutral K & K Kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
will hopefully be starting this weekend. I'll have enough bottles by then.

i also have parts to make a bottle to bottle filter (see also gardening section).

I'm using an inline filter used in irrigation but I'm thinking of taking out the filter bit and putting cotton wool or maybe chux cloths in there so i don't contaminate the flavors

Good luck.

In AG circles (though with unhopped liquid malt extract, it can be repeated as I've done), we do what is called SMaSH beers (Single Malt and Single Hop) - this gives us the ability to assess each hop and malt on its own merits. The beers end up a little one-dimensional at times, but you do learn a lot.

Go to the site sponsors - the one I use has a massive range of hops, and you really can get some wild variations just by using different hops and different boil times for hops. A little research on AHB and you'll find out what I mean.

The great thing with unhopped extract is that you can jump from Kit & Kilo, without it being too scary, but knowing your hops (and yeast) can make the jump in beer quality massive.

Goomba

hey all,

i need some ideas for flavors.

1. coffee
2. orange
3. mint

hey all,

i need some ideas for flavors.

1. coffee
2. orange
3. mint
Kaffir Lime Leaf
Chili
Coriander/orange peel (hoegaarden style)
Puree/Pulp/Juice of the following (or even plain old cordial or dessert topping, but you'll need less as it's concentrated)
  • Raspberry (framboise)
    Cherry (Kreik)
    Mango
    Any other fruit you like

edit: regarding Coffee, I'd be using this in a dark beer not a pale beer, but you're doing this for experimental reasons, so go for it.

would using essences be okay or is the alcohol content in them too high.

1. coffee
2. orange
3. mint
4. chili (petesbrew)
5. Cinnamon & clove (i have these on hand from my ginger beer)
6. ginger (completely forgot it had this)

need 4 more

EDIT: i can't count

1. coffee
2. orange
3. mint
4. chili (petesbrew)
7. Oregano and Basil

1. coffee
2. orange
3. mint
4. chili (petesbrew)
7. Oregano and Basil

7. Oregano and Basil
fresh or dried? i have basil in the garden but no oregano any more.

9. Jar Morello Cherries
10. Cardamom pods
11. Decent honey from an apiary or something.
12. Star Anise.

Did a Dark Ale recently that had honey and cherry in it - and it was really smooth and tasty. No "bang, there's honey" in the mouth, which I'm not too fond of. Did a Dark Ale a couple of years ago (a couple of times too) that had star anise, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon.

I'm reticent to try too much with a lighter coloured beer, as the malt isn't roasted at the same level and the flavours can't hide behind roasting like a darker beer. A darker beer suits extra adjuncts too.

Though, I'm formulating a belgian wit recipe as we speak.

Goomba

would the alcohol content in an essence negatively effect the yeast in a 2L batch.
alcohol content is 45%

1. coffee
(essence Primary, Kahlua Secondary)
2. orange
(essence Primary. Cointreau secondary)
3. mint
(fresh. i think "chocolate mint")
4. chili
(Fresh)
5. Cinnamon & clove
(Spice Rack)
6. ginger
(Fresh & powdered)
7. Honey & Golden Syrup
8. Star Anise
(crushed dried)
9. Vanilla
(vanilla pod)
10. Coconut
(essence)

would the alcohol content in an essence negatively effect the yeast in a 2L batch.
alcohol content is 45%

Well that would depend on how much you plan to add to your 2 L bottle. 50 mL of essence at 45% abv contains 22.5 mL of ethanol (I picked 50 mL because all our little bottles in the pantry are that size). Adding this to 2 L will give you about 1.1% abv; so in terms of yeast tolerance to ethanol, you'll be fine. However, 50 mL of essence in 2L might be too much and taste awful. You'll have to experiment to find out what you like.

Well that would depend on how much you plan to add to your 2 L bottle. 50 mL of essence at 45% abv contains 22.5 mL of ethanol (I picked 50 mL because all our little bottles in the pantry are that size). Adding this to 2 L will give you about 1.1% abv; so in terms of yeast tolerance to ethanol, you'll be fine. However, 50 mL of essence in 2L might be too much and taste awful. You'll have to experiment to find out what you like.

cool. i was thinking two to three teaspoons (10 - 15 ml)

cool. i was thinking two to three teaspoons (10 - 15 ml)
With the coconut essence, I'm assuming it's labelled "imitation". Be prepared for it to taste plasticy (I learnt this one from experience).
Maybe go for one of the Malibu essences from a LHBS?

With the coconut essence, I'm assuming it's labelled "imitation". Be prepared for it to taste plasticy (I learnt this one from experience).
Maybe go for one of the Malibu essences from a LHBS?

if it is i might just use some Malibu :lol: but thanks for the tip.

side note:
if I'm using fresh herbs (mint) is there anything i have to do. like boil it or is it just wash good and chop it up.

EDIT:

8. Star Anise
(Primary: crushed dried, Secondary: Opal Nera)

10. Coconut
(Primary:essence, Secondary:Malibu)

Back