Netflix anybody?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spiesy said:
I thought they were still okay.
Perhaps I was just jaded by the 'sharknado' quality cgi in the final episode (and the terrible story ending considering how good the writing was in the first few seasons)

Right sorry for a dumb question for you tech savvy guys but if my laptop has a hdmi port and my regular TV has a hdmi port I don't need to purchase chrome cast or any thing else I can just sign up for Netflix download the app and start watching on my TV right?

And another question if I'm streaming a movie and the missus gets on her laptop and starts looking at YouTube or whatever how badly does this affect the speed on 12mbps connection

I'm on Telstra cable 500gb plan. When watching F1 on BBC Sport, I stream on my 27 inch iMac in car cam, stream to TV is the main broadcast and the iPad or second TV either pit lane view or overhead data. So any given time I am downloading three to four channels simultaneously with no ill effect on play quality. Hell sometimes during a day race the wee guy is playing XBOX online or watching Netflix at the same time!

So don't worry.

Hate Telstra. Love their 500gb ultraspeed plan. 120Mbps on any given Sunday. Just pray I never need customer service.

michaeld16 said:
Right sorry for a dumb question for you tech savvy guys but if my laptop has a hdmi port and my regular TV has a hdmi port I don't need to purchase chrome cast or any thing else I can just sign up for Netflix download the app and start watching on my TV right?
Yep just tune your TV to Use the HDMI port

michaeld16 said:
And another question if I'm streaming a movie and the missus gets on her laptop and starts looking at YouTube or whatever how badly does this affect the speed on 12mbps connection

you should be ok

Below are the Internet download speed recommendations per stream for playing movies and TV shows through Netflix.

• 0.5 Megabits per second – Required broadband connection speed
  • 1.5 Megabits per second – Recommended broadband connection speed
  • 3.0 Megabits per second – Recommended for SD quality
  • 5.0 Megabits per second – Recommended for HD quality
  • 25 Megabits per second – Recommended for Ultra HD quality

michaeld16 said:
Just plug the HDMI cable into a spare HDMi port on the TV. You will need to set computer display to output via HDMI in the Display Properties also will need to change some settings in Audio to get sound via HDMI. Can watch Netflix via the web Browser when you sign in with email address and password.

goomboogo said:
You could get a VPN and then subscribe to the Australian Netflix. That will allow you to pay more and get less.
Quite happy with Netflix so far but I notice that when I go to the Netflix page on my PC it's now advising customers to get a VPN and will even set one up for you so you can access the American library as well.
So much for the initial fears that Australians were going to be kicked off the American service.

I'm also going to give Stan a go in addition.

Back