Negatives to drinking high fg beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingdomplantae

Reaction score
G'day, I'm wondering if there are any negative implications in drinking a higher than expected FG beer.
I see plenty of advice saying if it's finished higher and tastes fine.. bottle it up and enjoy etc....
I am.almost certain mine has finished, it was my first biab and I wasn't certain how my urn would perform, so I definately goofed the temps, started a little high and dropped a little low before equalising on correct temp.

I've agitated fv and raised temp to try end encourage further fermentation, and even took a sample jar and added more yeast but no activity nor change in fg...
I have a consistent fg of 1.025 for about 2 weeks, started at 1.051.
It has tasted fine throughout the entire process and today's sample no different. So I am confident I can bottle this batch on the weekend no worries. So what, it's a middy right???

But my question is what can I expect from a batch where I have a higher fg because of lack of fermentables in the wort? What physical effect will these unfermentable extracts have?
Is this head or stomach ache things or just a denser drink?

Appreciate your input cheers!

Bit difficult to give you considered advice without all the details.

Would be helpful if we have the following information:
1. Recipe
2. Mash temperature
3. How long did you mash
4. Which yeast
5. How did you measure your post mash SG?
6. How long did you ferment and at what temperature?
7. How did you measure your post fermentation SG?

And no, higher SG will not kill you or give you headaches etc, unless you do the silly thing and imbibe alcohol to excess. After all, the Belgians, amongst others for example, brew brilliant beers at the high end of the gravity scale, and they haven't killed anyone to my knowledge.
And unfermentables will be just that, they don't have negative effects. They don't turn to alcohol, generally just add body etc to your beer.

Bit difficult to give you considered advice without all the details.

Would be helpful if we have the following information:
1. Recipe
2. Mash temperature
3. How long did you mash
4. Which yeast
5. How did you measure your post mash SG?
6. How long did you ferment and at what temperature?
7. How did you measure your post fermentation SG?

And no, higher SG will not kill you or give you headaches etc, unless you do the silly thing and imbibe alcohol to excess. After all, the Belgians, amongst others for example, brew brilliant beers at the high end of the gravity scale, and they haven't killed anyone to my knowledge.
And unfermentables will be just that, they don't have negative effects. They don't turn to alcohol, generally just add body etc to your beer.

Thanks for the reply @philrob apologies for the lack.of data, however u have answered my question superbly, and I didn't add overkill info as I thought it didn't pertain to my question.
As you have asked I will add the following.
26l water at 74
4kg Joe white pale
500g Joe white wheat
75g dark crystal

74oC to 58oC during the first 20 mins, by 30 mins up to 66 and fluctuated +\- 3oC for another 30 mins
Pulled bag and left suspended above pot while bringing to boil. Squeezed bag into boiling pot for a while.

Boiled for 60 mins hops added 30g of 8.4% and decanted to fv at approx 70deg

Left until next day and agitated and added 11.5 g of dry us-05 at 27°C cooled to approx 20°C for a few days until stalled at 1.025
After a week at 1025 agitated fv and warmed up to.24°C and no change after a few days... did added yeast test in jar... no change after 4 days.

So at this point I think.i am done and not expecting any bottles popping, can you offer any insight??

I'm new to this so.please advise if my details.are lacking!

Edit: pre pitch ph 5.4 and currently 4.3

How did you measure the fg? If by refractometer did you correct for alcohol content. It’s a great and common mistake not to.

Assuming it truly is at 1.025 and not an error in reading, it doesn’t sound like it’s going to ferment further. The beer might taste a bit sweet, but it won’t kill you (unless it does ferment further and you create a couple of cases of bottle bombs)

Gday, I measured with hydrometer and above readings adjusted for temp.
Bottle bombs is a concern, though I am becoming more.confident fermentation is complete.
Cheers

That recipe and your mash temps should normally have given you a lower SG.
All I can think of is your method of measuring your SG. As elmoMakesBeer said, if it's with an refractometer, you should adjust for alcohol content. Most brewing software will have that tool, but if you need it, I have a chart I can post to assist.

That recipe and your mash temps should normally have given you a lower SG.
All I can think of is your method of measuring your SG. As elmoMakesBeer said, if it's with an refratometer, you should adjust for alcohol content. Most brewing software will have that tool, but if you need it, I have a chart I can post to assist.
Mate it would be awesome if you.could post the chart, of course if no hassle on your end, cheers

Refractometer_Calculations___70_30_b.jpg

No worries. In that case I suspect your initial mash temperature would have been on the high side. Dropping from 74ºC to 58ºC over 20 minutes seems a very rapid drop. Are you sure this is correct and that it dropped that quickly? Seems unlikely. I only lose 1 or 2ºC over an hour long mash.

Yes pretty close to that timeline, as I was hot I was trying to cool quickly, so the urn wasn't lagged and the element off and stirred to get the heat down. I overshot and the temp, and brought back up

@philrob sg was high because I evapped a bit much off, final volume was 19l I presume that's the reason for high sg, the batch after this yielded 1.046 sg at 21l, however did a step and rest mash.

either ways guys, this batch is in the hands for the yeast gods now, bottled today with carbonation drops.....
I did this technique as it's the standard way for homebrews, after lots of reading I will do a bulk prime in the future, mainly because at 2.9 co2 vol I think the beer might have a bit much, and 1.5 drops per tallies ain't feasible

I also do remember just following the 2 carbonation drops per tallies rule years ago, and the beer always had big bubbles like a Coles brand soda water vs the top shelf stuff... I presume this is due the the.co2 volume right?

Latest posts

Back