Need Help With My 1st 3v Ag Recipie..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vicelore

Reaction score
Hey guys.

About to make my 1st own 3v AG brew.

Want a single malt brew using nels Sav hops and a reasonable seashion beer.

Was thinking of useing the following ingredients. 44 L batch

Munich I Malt (Weyermann) Munich I Malt (Weyermann) 8kg
Amarillo Hops (pellets 90 gms) at 60 and 30
Nelson Sauvin Hops (flowers 90gm), for the last 10 minutes and maybey half at the end of boil.
US05

Can you guys let me know if you think this will turn out ok..

This is the first time iv tried to put together ingredients rather than just copy a recipe so i might be well off.

Cheers vice

Just chucking that recipe into Beersmith and its gonna come out around 4% with 8kg of grain.. if i take it up to 10kg its around the 5% mark..

Whats your thoughts ?? id rather it around the 5% mark.

Cheers Vice

:icon_drool2:

try not to mash too high or with all that Munich it may not finish low enough to make it nice and easily drinkable. There will be a lot of people that will disagree I'm sure but I'd be trying to hit about 64/65 max. I like my beers a bit drier and so would be aiming for 62/63 hoping to get it down to the 1010 mark or perhaps below. The only times I've done all munich beers were before I discovered my preference for drier beers and so mashed at 66 or 67 and the brews were done over 1016-1018 range...too sweet for me, but for some that's on the money.

Not that I've done an AG brew, but from a hop perspective, that's a lot of Amarillo for bittering? Do you mean 90gms in total or for each addition?
I think 45gms (for a double batch) and 60 and again at 30 would be good.
And yeah, not sure you can overdo NS for aroma. I dry hopped the shit out of my first NS ale, and it smelled delicious :) Tasted good too, btw :p

throw up your recipe out of beersmith vice...

just a thought...yep split the amarillo even between 60 and 30 (I prefer 20 as I think 30 is a bittering addition for harsh hops and the flavour can get lost a bit...but each to their own).

NS I'd go 15 mins and 5 45g at each to get flavour and aroma. At those rates the NS will overpower the Amarillo, but the Amarillo will still be there and provide some good flavours.

Taken your advise on guys..on the hopping at 15 and 5, And yes id only planned on 180g total hope.. all additions of 45g.

Attached the BS file hope it work.. iv never exported before.

Cheers

I think they meant throw the listing from Beersmith, not the bsm file, eg As per here

If you are after session beer keep the alcohol under 5%. I make most my beer around 4.5%. Also being straight Munich it may become heavy for a session. You could try straight Pilsner or even Ale malt.

QldKev

Where about in BS do you get that listing ? Im new to BS too..

Thanks guys.

Pilsner malt.. Ok.. i was thinking that would be suited for a pilsner as in a Lager..

Plsner malt is ok to use in a ale aswell ??

As iv said before sorry for my lack of knolege when it comes to malts, as iv always just coppied others recipes.

Cheers Guys.

Pilsner malt.. Ok.. i was thinking that would be suited for a pilsner as in a Lager..

As iv said before sorry for my lack of knolege when it comes to malts, as iv always just coppied others recipes.

Cheers Guys.

The Pilsner Malt is just lighter in color than the Ale. Pilsner is about 3-5 EBC, while Ale is more between 5-7 EBC. Both grains can be used in either a Lager or Ale beer; as you know the main difference is the yeast strain/fermenting temps. Also I guess the lager should also be left to lager for a period of time.

Thinking about it with a heavy hit of Amarillo you are using I would go the Ale. I know you wanted to stay a single malt, but I would throw in 500g Wheat to help with head retention; and a bit of Munich/Crystal to balance it all out.

Hope (or should I say hop) you enjoy your brew day.

QldKev

Cheers Guys.

Can use any malt in anything...just be aware of what it does. Pils is just a good base malt, but I don't think it would support that hopping schedule just to confuse matters.

Munich I will be fine if you mash lower for a session beer because it will finish drier and crisper. Recipe looks good, go for it. Only real way to learn about malts is to use them.

Where about in BS do you get that listing ? Im new to BS too..

Thanks guys.

highlight it in "my recipes", but don't open it, go to "file" at top left and select export,
in the pop up box select "only selected file" and "export as .txt" file, then save it to desktop or where-ever. Then open it with word/ notepad and copy and paste it. :icon_cheers:

Try 50/50 Munich/Pils malt, mash at 64-65*C and use your US-05. You'll be close to a German Altbier and this grain bill I can attest will work well.

tdh

Thanks for the replys guys getting stoked on this brew now :)

tdh, when you say German Altbeer do you mean Alt like from Duesseldorf in germany ?? I was just there a few months ago and its really quite a Dark beer ??? I was hopeing for quite a light beer for this brew like along the lines of a APA.

Cheers Vice.

Back