Need Head!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hitman

Reaction score
G'day again,

I have just bottled my third brew and having sampled the first two I am reasonably happy with the results in taste and alc vol, and this is after three weeks of storage.

I have kept a carton of the first two brews which i hope to sample in six to twelve months time.

However, the one thing i cannot seem to achieve at this early point is good head retention, the beer is well bubbled and tastes the part but there is zero froth after about thirty seconds of the initial pour.

What can be done to aid this or at the very least improve it? Also for someone that is punching out k&k brews to save money and drinks them quick, what kit brews woud you reccommend they taste pretty good after bare minimum storage (if there are any).

Cheers to all.

Less sugar/dextrose, more malt will give you a heavier bodied beer which will hold a better head. Other things that may kill head retention is a dirty glass, oils, or residual detergents either from glass washing or from not rinsing brewing equipment.

By having a healthy fermentation by pitching a good amount of healthy yeast, controlling temperature well (say, around 20C for standard ale yeasts) and allowing a few extra days after fermentation will ensure conditioning is well underway before bottling.

So now Butters will just be saying 'Link in my sig' for all those commonly asked questions that all the new people to the site ask. ;)

Maybe another link to the search function also. :D

:beerbang: Great idea mate should save you some typing.

Back