• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Need Advice 6pole (920rpm) 240vac Motor

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammus

Amateur Brewer
Reaction score
Howdy, I'm about to drop $239 on a brand spankin 3/4hp (0.55kw) 6 pole (920rpm) cap start 240V single phase motor to run my mill (millmaster)

This seems like a pretty good deal, seeing as every motor dealer I've rang wants at least $500 for something similar. That's about as much as I know when it comes to this stuff.

I explored other options extensively, and it will cost over $200 in pulleys to run a 4pole (1425rpm) motor, and a hell of a lot more to run a 2pole, so I figure I'll just go this and get it right from the get go.

The point of this post is that I often buy something like this, then read a post by someone saying "yeah i got this for like $20 from so and so, they have millions of em theyre tryna get rid of" after I've just dropped a couple hund on something similar. So.. is it an alright deal? or should is there a better cheaper option?

Have you looked at wiper motors? Under $20 as a rule and can be connected directly using a spider coupling. It would be almost worth trying this first I reckon. If it doesn't work its only $30 or so down the drain, no biggie.

That motor seems a little fast. Probably ok, but for that money I would want to get EVERYTHING I want, including the perfect rpm.

Have you looked at wiper motors? Under $20 as a rule and can be connected directly using a spider coupling. It would be almost worth trying this first I reckon. If it doesn't work its only $30 or so down the drain, no biggie.

That motor seems a little fast. Probably ok, but for that money I would want to get EVERYTHING I want, including the perfect rpm.

Yeah it will have a pulley reduction to 100rpm for another $50 or so.

Wiper motors I've looked at have a static torque of usually less than 20N.m, and a working torque of something closer to 5Nm, which as I understand isn't near enough to drive the beast of a millmaster.

Latest posts

Back