Millmaster,one's Mans Trash

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henno

Beermologist
Reaction score
Below is something I picked up at the tip yesterday for $30, haggled em down from $40, for a piece of somebody's rubbish I still don't feel that clever.

I liked the look of the pulleys on it as I have been having trouble getting any for my millmaster. Problem was the tip dudes won't let you turn on any leccy equipment on site to test due to blah blah blah so it was a bit of a risk.

Back at home the motor hums but won't turn the belt. Take the belt off and give it still hums but after a careful spin it takes off. Is it worth rewiring? Do the leccy gurus think maybe it has just dropped a coil or somethin like that? Been a long time since I did my AC/DC machine course in pussas.

The gearbox in the 3rd pic interests me. I was about to start taking this thing apart when I realised this bit is a reduction gearbox. 20 revolutions of the input = 1 on the output. Unfortunately the output pulley is obvioulsy built to take band saw blades and not another belt. Does it mean though if I run the motor straight into at 1500RPM /20 = 75RPM out straight onto the shaft of the millmaster? Too slow?

wholethingclosed.jpg

wholethingopen.jpg

gearboxclose.jpg

motorplate.jpg

Back at home the motor hums but won't turn the belt. Take the belt off and give it still hums but after a careful spin it takes off. Is it worth rewiring? Do the leccy gurus think maybe it has just dropped a coil or somethin like that? Been a long time since I did my AC/DC machine course in pussas.

Just needs a new capacitor. Get one at HQ in north Bundy for around 27 bucks.

Just needs a new capacitor. Get one at HQ in north Bundy for around 27 bucks.

What he said :p

I've collected a few household pressure pumps from the tip.usually a new capacitor and away it goes.

Looks like a good score there Henno, old wood lathe perhaps?

Batz

Nope Batz, it's a horisontal/vertical band saw. I have one exactly the same, it is an elcheapo brand from wayback but fairly sturdy, mine even did a year in an engineering shop, mine is about 12yrs old or so now and still going strong.

cheers

Browndog

Yep it used to be a bandsaw. Looks like the bearings and pulleys are in good nick. I think the blade must have let go and snapped off the guide up at the far end that acts as a tensioner and guide. Thanks for the advice guys. I spose a $27 capacitor and a $30 investment for the pulleys aint cheap but I was looking at paying $130 for a 1400 rpm new motor so we'll see if I can breath life into this old girl.

Be good if I could use a gearbox and no pulleys though I reckon, then she'll have definately paid for herself.

Rip the bandsaw wheel off the output shaft and connect the shaft with a coupling onto you mill. 75rpm wont break any speed records, but you will have massive torque.

QldKev

Latest posts

Back