Natural Gas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any qualified gas/plumbers may be able to answer this -

When I installed pop up sprinklers in the back yard years ago the pop ups limply came up about a 1/4 way and dribbled water.
I then installed a 32ml pipe split directly at the water metre and ran it the to the sprinklers, problem solved,more pressure than needed.

Would the same theory work for gas? Its just that I'm not going to spend X amount of $ on many metres of big copper pipe on a hunch it might work!

Cheers,
BB

BoilerBoy,

Unfortunately I'm not a plumber but I do have a friend who is.

I am looking at using natural gas for BBQ'ing and brewing in the not too distant future and he has told me that I will need to run 25mm copper pipe from very close to the gas meter all the way to where I need it. Unfortunately that distance is around 20 metres. :(

Even though I have gas running to the kitchen only 3 metres away, the distance from the meter, and the pipe diameter at that point (12 mm), means the pressure wont be enough for it to burn successfully.

Its going to cost a bit but I just keep thinking of the time and money I'll save on getting gas bottles refilled.

Cheers

Scott

BoilerBoy,

Unfortunately I'm not a plumber but I do have a friend who is.

I am looking at using natural gas for BBQ'ing and brewing in the not too distant future and he has told me that I will need to run 25mm copper pipe from very close to the gas meter all the way to where I need it. Unfortunately that distance is around 20 metres. :(

Even though I have gas running to the kitchen only 3 metres away, the distance from the meter, and the pipe diameter at that point (12 mm), means the pressure wont be enough for it to burn successfully.

Its going to cost a bit but I just keep thinking of the time and money I'll save on getting gas bottles refilled.

Cheers

Scott

I had an NG bayonet fitting installed for the BBQ a few years back and unfortunately its just extended from the house so I would also be looking at at least 25-30m direct from the meter. I'm afraid it will slide under the list of "Things to do when I win Lotto" :rolleyes:

Cheers,
BB

Ok, I just had a plumber come around and quote $480 to run a line some 10m from the side of the house to where I want to get an NG outlet for the BBQ (and brewing).

The meter is located on the same wall as the HW cylinder, which is located 10m from where I want to place the outlet. The issue is that when they installed the HW cylinder last year, they ran the correct diameter pipe till about 3m from the HW unit - therefore, I need to have a join put in place there, put the larger piping through to the HW unit, then have the smaller piping run through to the outlet. Apparently, that's what I need to have to get it through code.

I'm thinking that I'm going to buy the pipe myself, anchor it to the wall and then get the b'stards to do the connection.

Cheers - Mike

This is now the exact setup I have. NG Bayonet->2m hose->low pressure reg-><-1/2" threaded nipple->1/2" one piece ball valve->pipe->32 jet Mongolian burner. About to use it for the first time - and it's as easy as clipping it into the bayonet - and you're away?

here's a shot of my setup:
View attachment 19941

and closeup of reg:
View attachment 19942

the flexible hose clips into a bayonet on the side of house, for ease of use. i also installed an additional butterfly valve (out of kiddie reach) before the bayonet as added insurance.

tony and i both purchased our burners from grain and grape here. i believe they come assembled with arm and 1 butterfly (control) valve.

reVox

Latest posts

Back