Natural Gas Burner With Lpg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwozniak

Reaction score
Hi all
I got a natural gas burner. Anybody know if i can hook it up to LPG without blowing myself up in the process?

yeah mate, in my experience with the mongolian i was sold, it had NG jets and i was running LPG...the jet holes are much larger so you dont get the jet flame like you should, you get more of the yellow flames, with much less intensity, i found that it still did a great job, just the soot levels were out of control!

EDIT: LINKY

Plenty of threads on this. Try here.

I use a 23 jet mongolian with NG and while it soots, it's not excessive and can be sprayed off (simple garden hose) at end of brew day. I suspect mr_tyreman's reg may be the culprit (but admittedly did not read his entire thread).

Cheers
reVox

Thanks guys,
I got the mongolian natural gas. Will replace it for LPG to save myself the trouble. Cheers. Very helpfull

Thanks guys,
I got the mongolian natural gas. Will replace it for LPG to save myself the trouble. Cheers. Very helpfull

I don't find NG any trouble at all. Quite the contrary. Running out of LPG on a brew day (even once) would shit me. Not to mention cost.. LPG is approx. 10x the cost of NG. Just fit the correct reg (NG), get a clip in bayonet for your wall/bbq/brewing area and away you go.

Hi all
I got a natural gas burner. Anybody know if i can hook it up to LPG without blowing myself up in the process?

I'd like to know if you can adapt things the other way around--an LP gas burner with a natural gas supply???

If not, I'm thinking of using an old natural gas water heater burner and weld together a stand with it, maybe with concrete rebar or iron pipe.

Anyone here done either of these things?

Don

I don't find NG any trouble at all. Quite the contrary. Running out of LPG on a brew day (even once) would shit me. Not to mention cost.. LPG is approx. 10x the cost of NG. Just fit the correct reg (NG), get a clip in bayonet for your wall/bbq/brewing area and away you go.

I didn't mean that NG is a problem. What i mean is that i can only connect LPG to the NG burner and so end up with the same problem as Mr T

I agree. Running out is a problem. I've always had a spare but it's inconvenient when you're doing something else around the house and you think your wort is boiling away and it's really not--just ran out of LP gas. I have several spare tanks, always have at least one spare filled up.

But I'd like to switch to household (low pressure) natural gas. I figure if it can heat a 40 gallon hot water tank it should be able to boil 7 gallons of wort. I'll gladly trade time (waiting) for money in this case.

I just realized, since you are mentioning using a regulator with natural gas, that in Australia you might have a higher pressure than we have in our houses in the US. The regulator is before the gas meter outside the home (normally). It is much lower pressure than LP gas has. It runs somewhere around 1/4 psi. or just short of 7 inches of water in a manometer. I don't know what units you use in Australia, but here are some equivalents: 0.017 atmospheres (or bar), 1.29 cm Hg (mercury), 1723 Pa, or17236 dyne/cm squared.

Commercial natural gas lines here have a much higher pressure, and I thought about having a second meter and regulator put on my home to allow me to run the high pressure natural gas.

I'd like to know if you can adapt things the other way around--an LP gas burner with a natural gas supply???

Don

Just have to change the jet, or drill it out. It is the only difference between the two.
Small jet for high pressure and large jet for low pressure.
I am from the states and we used to be able to buy new jets for most things to convert them.
Cheers,
Bud

I didn't mean that NG is a problem. What i mean is that i can only connect LPG to the NG burner and so end up with the same problem as Mr T

Gotcha. I just realised I missed your question entirely and fugged it all up. tyreman answered it properly. Sorry about the side-step there.

reVox

Latest posts

Back