Nasa Vs 3 Ring Burner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattC

Reaction score
Hi all, I finally upgraded today to a NASA burner from my old 3 ring burner which is just on its way out. Picked up burner, stand, reg and hose from my local camping store for $169. Was sure that it was going to be better than the 3 ring burner but I wanted to know exactly how much better. I did a test on them both this afternoon. The results are hardly surprising but I thought I would share them on here in case anyone else was interested.

The blue line is obviously the NASA and the yellow the 3 ring.

The test involved 21 L of water (was trying to be water conservative) same start temps and measured every 5 min for 50 minutes.

Yes it is considerably louder thatn the 3 ring burner, but my neighbour will be Ok with the noise as he often samples the final result.

One interesting fact was that the boil on the 3 ring was nowhere near as vigorous as the NASA. Hopefully this will help my DMS issues in my lagers.

Would be great to conduct a similar controlled test on all burners available......if it hasnt already been done ;)

Cheers

IMG_0647.JPG

Burner_Test.jpg

Hi all, I finally upgraded today to a NASA burner from my old 3 ring burner which is just on its way out. Picked up burner, stand, reg and hose from my local camping store for $169. Was sure that it was going to be better than the 3 ring burner but I wanted to know exactly how much better. I did a test on them both this afternoon. The results are hardly surprising but I thought I would share them on here in case anyone else was interested.

The blue line is obviously the NASA and the yellow the 3 ring.

The test involved 21 L of water (was trying to be water conservative) same start temps and measured every 5 min for 50 minutes.

Yes it is considerably louder thatn the 3 ring burner, but my neighbour will be Ok with the noise as he often samples the final result.

One interesting fact was that the boil on the 3 ring was nowhere near as vigorous as the NASA. Hopefully this will help my DMS issues in my lagers.

Would be great to conduct a similar controlled test on all burners available......if it hasnt already been done ;)

Cheers

thats a fantastic improvement in times there mattc

make sure you allow for what will likely be an increased evaporation rate

Whats the name of the store? Sounds like a pretty good deal to me :huh:

Ballina disposals and camping, River St, Ballina NSW.

They are not, as far as I know, linked to a chain of stores, but their catalogue looked pretty generic to me, with a store ID stamp on the back page of the catalogue. Could be worth calling them to see if the same deals are available elsewhere..

Cheers

They are not, as far as I know, linked to a chain of stores, but their catalogue looked pretty generic to me, with a store ID stamp on the back page of the catalogue. Could be worth calling them to see if the same deals are available elsewhere..

Yeah, they do look good. Have though about getting one myself too.

I have them in every camping store here in south east SA, fishing shop, camping, disposal etc.....All around that price too, so yeah, not linked to any specific store.

Nath

Yeah, they do look good. Have though about getting one myself too.

I have them in every camping store here in south east SA, fishing shop, camping, disposal etc.....All around that price too, so yeah, not linked to any specific store.

Nath

If you're in Brisbane, 'Down-under' camping store had them for $154-ish last week (Pickering St Enoggera) .

BCF in Cannon Hill BNE was stocking these. solid looking unit. i think about the same money ?? ring and ask....

i assume all BCF's will have them ?

I've seen this exact setup at bcf before for the same price. Thought about getting one when i first started, but decided on a ring burner, then a triple ring burner, then a 32 jet mongolian (when i stopped trying to 'save' money).

Latest posts

Back