Nasa Flame Size. How Big Is Yours?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was just reading the Brews and Views board and spotted this photo of some NASA style burners fully cranked up at around 30psi.

Nasa.jpg

Holy :blink:

Does anyone elses burners look like this in full flight? I can't really complain with mine as it seems to have heaps of heat and flame for my purpose but if I remember rightly it doesn't look anything like this (there is usually a kettle on top). No wonder the yanks have so much trouble with radiant heat from these burners, I don't seem to have any issues with radiant heat at all from mine.

Perhaps it's got to do with the blur of the photo and the darkness but I'm going to crank mine up to full blast tonight and see if I get a flame like that because I'm pretty sure I don't. I've got a 0-60psi regulator so I'm not lacking in puff.

Just keen to see if anyone else has seen performance like that out of their burner. Maybe I need to drill a 3/8" hole in my jet :super: :ph34r: (I don't recommend that by the way :ph34r: ) to get more gas flow.

How did the other guys here with NASA performance anxiety go sorting out their burner problems?

Cheers, Justin

Edit: added my regulator specs.

I reckon mine would be close to that at full throttle.
The thing is mine is only at full throttle for 10-15mins to bring the kettle to the boil, then I turn it right down so that it is just ticking over. Just enough to keep a rolling boil going.

Beers,
Doc

My Rambo burner does about that at about 50psi. Any higher and the flame ring starts to spin.

I have the turkey burner from g&g and I cant see the flame at all when I light it. Though I can hear it.

I didnt get any instructions in the box with the burner. How exaclty am I supposed to use this thing. Best practise type tips ?

You'll definitely see it when it's dark.

Blue flames are hard to see in daylight.

I just picked up a 4 ring "rambo" burner from gameco today - $55. Its running off a standard bbq regulator - 52MJ according to the docs with it...

IMG_8650small.jpg

I was initially thinking of the NASA style burner, but the price was right on this baby. And by the looks she should do the job!

M

Just did this one with my new turkey burner from G and G. it is the taller model with wind block 0 - 44 Psi regulator and jet drilled bigger. I drilled it a tad to big but I get no soot what so ever so I really cant complain.

thats at half way on the regulator, to be honest i dont have the nads or need to wind it all the way down to see how big it will really go.

Picture.jpg

I don't think mine is quite what the opening pics show.
But it cranks as far bringing my wort to the boil.

I had to rush out a light it for ya all :p

Batz

Perhaps I should have turned out the lights , then you may not see all the spider webs

Batz

fergi said:
SOSMAN WINS
FERGI
[post="101152"][/post]​
That was my smoked porter. He wasn't very good at carrying bags anyway.

Love it Sosman :D

Thanks guys. Yeah I was just wondering what sort of flame throw people were getting. After looking at the first photo I felt a little inadequate, not just because I only have one :p

Yeah batz, mine is more inline with your burner. That's pretty much what I get as well. As I said, no issue with bringing the wort to the boil and fast but I just wondered if I was running a too small a jet and was missing out on some extra gas wastage and excess radiant heat. :D Especially since a few people (sulggerdog etc) seemed to have problems with jet sizes with their burner, I was just curious as to whether I might have had the same burners.

Leave well enough alone Justin! If it works don't mess with it!!

Thanks guys.

Latest posts

Back