Nancy Boy Plisner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosswill

Reaction score
I reciently purchased a couple of 1kg bags of hops on spec, that I didn't know much about.Smaragt and Saphire. I thought what the heck, one is a noble hop, I can't go too far wrong. As pilsner is my style of choice, I knocked up a pilsner style brew useing predominently pilsner malt and a bit of wheat, munich and carapils. I hopped it with 40g each Smaragt and Saphire 60 min, and 25g Saphire at 15 & 2 min and dry hop in secondary. I expected a nice hoppy pilsner.
I kegged this about a month ago and put some leftovers into bottles. The keg is currently conditioning, but I have sampled a couple of bottles. I understand the beer is still a bit undeveloped, but what I got was a nice bright, pale beer with lower than expected hop presence, but a distince taste of rose water, or the perfume from a Double Delight rose. The missus loved it, and said it remined her of Turkish Delight or musk sticks. The bottles are a little bit undercarbonated due to sitting in a cold shed.
After my third bottle now, I have to say that the flavor is not half bad. I'm looking forward to cracking the keg once the weather warms up. Am I turning to the other side? Will I now have to sit down when I go?
Has anyone else had any experience with these hops?

I am currently planning a girlie but strong Strawberry Honey Weizen, and I am interested in your description of these hops, neither of which I have used.

As for affirming my masculinity, my last 2 brews should have enough amarillo & cascade to make anyone's eyes water... Grr... I think I feel the need to pick up something ridiculously heavy in the presence of an impossibly endowed female.

Just love the name.
Girls are hoppier then male me thinks.
Let us know how the kegged version turn out.

Also what yeast did you use?

Correction to the recipe. I did not add any Saphire to the 60 min boil, just the 15 and 2 min and the dry hop. Still, with a total of 115g of hops, I expected a monster that a hairy chested aussie would show his mates, but instead got a delicate flower. Its not overly sweet though, so the Smaragt did the job bittering. The Smaragt was 8% & the Saphire was 4.5%.
The wheat I used was Joe White and I dumped it on a Wyeast Urquell yeast cake.
Oh well, I'll have to lock myself in and enjoy this one in embarrased silence.

I am interested to know which hop contributed which particular character, or whether you have come upon a third entity by mixing the two.

I used Saphir once

I found it to be very sweet - I am not near my tasting notes but apricots and honey I think were what I wrote.

The girls liked it - it wasnt much of a thirst quencher

So I reckon the name is pretty much spot on.

RM

I guess that most home brewers brew for themselves. At the end of the day, if this beer is a "closet quaffer", then quaff away. On the up-side, you have created a beer your significant other loves. That can only be a good thing in the long run! :party:

Brew on brother.

Fess.

Back