Naked Dsl And Voip Phone Anyone?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Ye mighty Samsung note phablet is on its way and it's also time, accordingly, to look at slashing my current home phone and internet bundle. I currently have a Telstra ADSL2 and home phone package for $99

Optus doesn't service Bribie Island (you would think that the second biggest carrier would piss all over the likes of IINET and Dodo but apparently they can't get access to Telstra copper wire) so I'm not able to get their $50 ove-fifties bundle they keep, insultingly, advertising on my tv.

That would pay for the phablet but no go. So I'm considering going naked DSL with one of the other companies and getting a VOIP phone. I really don't use the home phone all that much.

Anyone have that setup? Do you need an engineering degree to set it up or is it all pretty much plug and play? Any ideas on costs?

I note that Telstra trialled naked DSL a couple of years ago but didn't proceed. Is this because the system isn't too good or is it just that T are evil? B)

Ye mighty Samsung note phablet is on its way and it's also time, accordingly, to look at slashing my current home phone and internet bundle. I currently have a Telstra ADSL2 and home phone package for $99

Optus doesn't service Bribie Island (you would think that the second biggest carrier would piss all over the likes of IINET and Dodo but apparently they can't get access to Telstra copper wire) so I'm not able to get their $50 ove-fifties bundle they keep, insultingly, advertising on my tv.

That would pay for the phablet but no go. So I'm considering going naked DSL with one of the other companies and getting a VOIP phone. I really don't use the home phone all that much.

Anyone have that setup? Do you need an engineering degree to set it up or is it all pretty much plug and play? Any ideas on costs?

I note that Telstra trialled naked DSL a couple of years ago but didn't proceed. Is this because the system isn't too good or is it just that T are evil? B)

Been using naked dsl for q couple of years now. Single line setup with supplied equipment should be no trouble at all (even to an old guy). It all comes pre-configured and away you go.

Our setup is a little more complex with 3 VOIP lines (home and 2 business lines) on hardware that I set up myself, but even that wasn't too hard to set up.

Wouldn't go back.

Cheers
Dave

Don't know if this is still the case or if it applies to the other states but when I first looked into getting naked dsl it was only a few bucks cheaper than getting the cheapest telstra phone plan. (i think it was $20 pm extra for naked line and the telstra line was $24 or something)

I still use voip for my calls but its nice having a landline as backup (though everyone has mobiles nowdays anyway I guess).

VoIP has come ahead in leaps and bounds in recent years. When it first started becoming popular the quality was attrocious. These days you can rarely tell other than some of the systems have noise gates on them and go completely silent if the other party isnt talking which is a bit unusual. Many of the bigger businesses I deal with are going this way and using VoIP to mobile handsets over 3G which means that you call the office and get diverted to what ever location they are at by the girl on the switch. I've called blokes thinking they were in the office only to find out they were on the same site as me!

I've got iiNet naked and would highly recommend it. Their 100GB plan will set you back $69.95 a month, which includes the voip service with unlimited free calls to any landline in Australia.

Telstra dropped the idea because it meant loosing out on the over the top prices they put on copper phone lines. Their NBN plans follow the same logic (well at least last time i looked) - You don't need copper any more (thats the point), but they make you pay for a telstra copper line anyway.

Because they're there :lol: edit: and it IS there, not left accidentally in the car or in bag in the bedroom.

Many older adults can't use mobiles because they can't see them clearly or can't work the tiny little buttons. And when you are talking reading glasses age, you are talking generally early to mid forties as your lenses stiffen up so that's not old by any means.

However there certainly are old fart models with huge buttons.

Useability is one reason I've gone for a Galaxy Note, it's big enough to see and I don't have to press half a dozen different little lolly buttons to make and receive calls.

Why not a home phone that looks like a phone and sits on the kitchen counter, but has a sim card. You just pick up, dial and get straight through without having to switch it on and navigate shit like "options" " voice call or text etc. And when it rings you pick it up and say hello, don't have to remember to press the little button on the right or is it the left and I can't see the fsucker anyway without my glasses.

It will come to you as it comes to us all, doc :rolleyes:

Because they're there :lol: edit: and it IS there, not left accidentally in the car or in bag in the bedroom.

Many older adults can't use mobiles because they can't see them clearly or can't work the tiny little buttons. And when you are talking reading glasses age, you are talking generally early to mid forties as your lenses stiffen up so that's not old by any means.

However there certainly are old fart models with huge buttons.

Useability is one reason I've gone for a Galaxy Note, it's big enough to see and I don't have to press half a dozen different little lolly buttons to make and receive calls.

Why not a home phone that looks like a phone and sits on the kitchen counter, but has a sim card. You just pick up, dial and get straight through without having to switch it on and navigate shit like "options" " voice call or text etc. And when it rings you pick it up and say hello, don't have to remember to press the little button on the right or is it the left and I can't see the fsucker anyway without my glasses.

It will come to you as it comes to us all, doc :rolleyes:

Cranky old fart :lol:

Why do people have home phones?

It's something i do not understand given how cheap mobile phone plans are.
Because the same copper brings in my ADSL for my VoIP, if I disconnected the home phone, Telstra would pull the plug at the exchange and we'd have no phone or ADSL or VoIP (they did that before and gave our line to someone else by mistake).

First choice Internode.
Second choice iiNet.
Third choice TPG, if you really have to.

Never, ever, Optus. EVER.

Trust me on this. This is what I do.

First choice Internode.
Second choice iiNet.

when it comes to a service that works as it is intended to... all of them are as good as each other. Purchase based on data/price.

When it comes to investigating and fixing faults if you ever have them, you get what you pay for. At least that's been my experience as a consumer purchasing the cheaper broadband options in the past.

Also, with the more expensive plans you typically seem to get more 'value-add' extras such as on-net free data perks etc.*

*I work for a provider and no this is not a sales pitch.

when it comes to a service that works as it is intended to... all of them are as good as each other. Purchase based on data/price.

When it comes to investigating and fixing faults if you ever have them, you get what you pay for. At least that's been my experience as a consumer purchasing the cheaper broadband options in the past.

Mate these two statements contradict each other. The second one is correct.
They are not all as good as each other because they do not all work as intended. Do not purchase purely on price.

First choice Internode.
Second choice iiNet.

Seconded. I'll add Never, ever, EVER to TPG as well. Cheap but crap service and crap customer service. Ended up with the ombudsman to resolve my issues. Service worked kind of maybe 50% of the time. Rest of the time it was slow as a wet weekend. TPG told me that that was as good as it was going to get so suck it up. Ombudsman made them give me my money back.

With internode now. Very happy.

Cheers
Dave

Been with TPG ADSL and their cheap-ass (Optus based) mobile plans for a year, no problems at all.
Both plans and price suited our needs, the mobile reception is much better than previously on Vodafone, and have never needed TPG support for ADSL, it simply works as expected.

Mate these two statements contradict each other. The second one is correct.
They are not all as good as each other because they do not all work as intended. Do not purchase purely on price.

sorry i should clarify. my first statement was in terms of "in a perfect world" scenario.

After having to live with a sub standard service that when it worked, (regardless of them chewing back my line rate for stability) it was fine. However when it didn't work and the support returned for the cost of my product I felt i was truly getting what I paid for. (tried everything in their books to avoid getting the line provider to fix the underlying line fault.)

I've got IINet Naked DSL2 with 50GB for computer use and VIOP phone. Never used all 50GB and I download the odd movie/music from time to time and play online games for a number of hours each week.

I ended up getting one of the first Bob units when they came out about 2/3 years ago, and whilst to start with the call quality was average, they improved it significantly after the first couple of months. The thing I like about it, is you can plug in any other type of handset into the back of Bob and use that throughout the rest of the house. So if you dont like the handset it comes with its no big deal, just plug in your old phone to the back of it and use those (or go buy a new set that takes your fancy).

So I've got the original Bob handset (which is pretty shit to be honest) sitting in the units cradle next to my PC, then 3 other phones throughout the house, one with the base station which has answer machine and the others just on chargers.

Also, if you look at getting the galaxy, you can set it up to access your WIFI when in range (ie, in the house) so that your not using the mobiles download limit and instead working through the PC's downloads. Saves your mobile limit for when you are actually, mobile...

Hope that helps some...

Yes some great suggestions. Now how does the VOIP phone thing work? All I can find is American sites and I believe over there when you buy a unit you have to go with their own DSL service. However I take it that in Australia you

setup naked dsl, say with IINET

Purchase an adaptor "splitter" box so that the phone can go off that and the other line goes to your wireless router for your home Internet usage.

Do you need to purchase a special phone to run off that splitter or can you plug your existing old school phone into it using the normal RJ45 phone jack?

Do you keep your existing home phone number?

Will Foxtel IQ still recognise the setup?

Been out of tech stuff for a while, Ah ye stiffe learnyng curve :rolleyes:

Why do people have home phones?

It's something i do not understand given how cheap mobile phone plans are.

because some people refuse to ring mobile numbers (my 90 year old grandmother for an example)

I see a millenium bug thing approaching. Mobile numbers are all in the fomat 04xx xxx xxx
So there are only enough numbers available for 10 million subscribers. With personal business and government mobiles you'd think we would be getting close here. The reason for the 04 apparently is that the network recognises 04 as an area code much like 08 for WA NT and SA, 07 for QLD etc. so this was the logical way to set it up to integrate it.

Will they come up with say 05 for the next lot of mobiles after that or will everything have to be reordered?

On the point of people ringing mobiles from home phones, on most bundles nowadays local calls are free but in my case for example, ringing mobiles from my home phone can add up to $20 a month to my bill. Would buy a few groceries for your grampy and grammy ;)

Internode gets my vote for the best ISP so far, ever.

Their reach plans work on Telstra lines. Good service, billing can be weird first few months but settles down.

Having used 5 different ISPs so far, it all boils down to how far from the exchange you are. The good and pricier providers will take care of you and fix problems. The cheap shits will keep spitting you out till you switch or accept the service.
I used to swear by Telstra's qos but it's been going to hell of late.

Back