Naked Dsl And Voip Phone Anyone?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Purchase an adaptor "splitter" box so that the phone can go off that and the other line goes to your wireless router for your home Internet usage.

Do you need to purchase a special phone to run off that splitter or can you plug your existing old school phone into it using the normal RJ45 phone jack.
I think it can be done various ways, but we have a VoIP enabled ADSL Modem/Router, one little electronic device does all those things.

It plugs into the phone line, it has 4 ports out for the ADSL/computer network and another RJ45 telephone jack for the VoIP that connects to a normal telephone (we connect it to a 3-way hands free setup).

Once it is setup and working correctly it's essentially the same as using your normal Telstra-type phone (I set it up for my parents and they are your age and had no problems with it). ;)

I see a millenium bug thing approaching. Mobile numbers are all in the fomat 04xx xxx xxx
A much bigger issue is running out of IP4 addresses, the issue is already here and already starting to be a problem, too many people/devices connecting to the interweb.

thanks PF I'll investigate internode, if they do Mackay then they would certainly sevice Bribie Island. One would imagine :rolleyes:

Hey Wolfy, the device you bought, is it a wifi "transmitter" or, if I bought one, would it have to be through connected to my exsiting wifi router so I can run my desktop, laptop and my new Samshug phablet off when I'm in range?
Edit and what's the brand, where from and $$$$$$ ?

Why couldn't your parents set up their own system, my partner and I started uni at 62 and 50 respectively and went on to obtain bachelors degrees, and she went on to a first class honours degree with a GPA of 6.5 and a masters degree which she was awarded at the age of 73 - even older than Tidal Pete. :huh: my white haired homies are going to seek out your parents and confiscate their walking frames and force them to wear straight leg Levis, the proud badge of the baby boomers who refuse to get old, sonny B)

Mind you my IT degree enables me to still crank out C# but didn't help much with the current subject :lol:

Why couldn't your parents set up their own system
Because it was significantly easier for me to set it up for them, that way I know how it works and could tell them exactly what to do when something did not work as they expected.
We still use the same set-up here at home, but some Telstra rep talked them into amalgamating their home phone, home internet, mobile phones and mobile internet into one 'special plan' so now they pay a shit-tonne more for significantly less - the only advantage is the Telstra coverage when they roam the outback.

Yes that's why I ended up on the $99 plan. Telstra are actually pretty good and their systems are generally bulletproof but it's a bit annoying to pay BMW rates when you really only need a Camry :p

Internode naked DSL and VOIP here too...no dramas so far (about 3 months)..I will do everything in my power to avoid ever having to use (or pay) Telstra services ever again. Ever ever

I see a millenium bug thing approaching. Mobile numbers are all in the fomat 04xx xxx xxx
So there are only enough numbers available for 10 million subscribers. With personal business and government mobiles you'd think we would be getting close here. The reason for the 04 apparently is that the network recognises 04 as an area code much like 08 for WA NT and SA, 07 for QLD etc. so this was the logical way to set it up to integrate it.

Will they come up with say 05 for the next lot of mobiles after that or will everything have to be reordered?

On the point of people ringing mobiles from home phones, on most bundles nowadays local calls are free but in my case for example, ringing mobiles from my home phone can add up to $20 a month to my bill. Would buy a few groceries for your grampy and grammy ;)

04xx xxx xxx is 100 million numbers.

05 is actually assigned to nomadic services, which has a very very small take-up.
A few years ago the govt tried to bring in 0550 xxx xxx for VOIP services, because they could move around. The 000 operators were pushing for it pretty hard, so that they would know that the caller might not be at the registered address (this despite the fact that there was already a flag to identify this anyway). It was passed into law. No carrier ever implemented it, and now the scheme is defacto cancelled. Not before I spent over $10k on buying the freakin numbers from ACMA. Cnuts.

In related news, I will soon be providing NBN services. If only it was available, well, anywhere useful.

Thanks for pointing that out Mikec, yes indeedy my mistake - that's 99,999,999 as you say, plus one more for the lucky owner of 0400 000 000 - maybe I'll dial it and see who I get :p

Latest posts

Back