Mythbusters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, so its an underpitching issue. Thanks for the explanation Wolfy. Makes me think I might do starters for all my brews from now on rather than sprinkling dry yeast.

No need to make a starter using dry yeast. If the wort is of a gravity that requires more yeast then pitch the appropriate number of packets of dry yeast. I am by no means suggesting that it is not a good idea to proof the yeast by re-hydrating it prior to pitching.

If you want to make a starter from commercial bottle fermented ale try and get the youngest bottles, Coopers have a Best After date on the bottles of PA, get one only 2-3 months old or you are wasting your time. Also, bear in mind where the yeast has travelled from, i.e. Adelaide, and what the temperature has been there. So early Spring is a good time as the yeast crosses the Hay Plain to Sydney/Brisbane in winter.

Autumn is a bad time to try this, the yeast crosses the country in high summer. I drove a non-airconditioned car across the Hay Plain one summer and it nearly killed me; seriously- I collapsed from heat exhaustion in the Adelaide Hills. If it does that to a person, then it definately kills the yeast. Bring on air-conditioned beer trucks!

Back