My Yeast Starter Jars...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tk75

Reaction score
I knew I was saving these for some purpose...empty coffee jars. I have about 10 of them. They are ideal for using as yeast starter jars as once the cardboard seal is taken out from the top and the lid is screwed back on the jars aren't airtight so no need for venting or an airlock.
I made the starter below as I'm using the yeast from a Brigalow can kit and the packet was only 5g so I wanted to make sure I had a good start at fermenting(Brew day today :beerbang: )
If anyone wants a couple of jars...I'm happy to give them away but you will have to pick them up. I'm in postcode 3037 - PM if interested. I'll even clean them for you :D

Oh and just in case your wondering...I have 500ml of wort in the jar in the pic.

Yeast_Starter_640x480__1_.JPG

Yeast_Starter_640x480__2_.JPG

Maltaddict, you are on the right track with your nice glass jars, but you may want to find some bigger ones.

The golden rule with starters is to aim for a volume of 5% for ales and 10% for lagers. For a standard 23 litre brew, this is one litre of starter for an ale and two litres for a lager. For strong brews, double the starter volume.

Making a starter with a full pack of dried yeast into 500ml of wort is usually not recommended. You have a very large quantity of yeast all vying for a small quantity of nutrients. The end result is stunted yeast due to lack of nutrients and a poor start to your fermentation.

If you want to have a crack at starters using dried yeast, buy a better quality yeast than your wander, use about 5-10% of the pack, tightly reseal the pack and store in a clean ziplock bag in the fridge. Pitch the dried yeast to the correct amount of wort.

Rather than mucking about with making starters from dried yeast, just lash out and buy a fresh pack. They have dropped in price and represent good value for brewers. They are so easy to use compared to making starters, just snip and sprinkle on your wort. Less risk of infection.

The second golden rule is to use 1.040 sg wort for starters. This is equivalent to 100gms of DME to one litre of water, simmered for 10 minutes and allowed to cool.

Be as clean as possible with your sanitation when dealing with starters.

Your one litre jars would probably be perfect for yeast washing, so don't throw them away.

Maltaddict, you are on the right track with your nice glass jars, but you may want to find some bigger ones.

The golden rule with starters is to aim for a volume of 5% for ales and 10% for lagers. For a standard 23 litre brew, this is one litre of starter for an ale and two litres for a lager. For strong brews, double the starter volume.

Making a starter with a full pack of dried yeast into 500ml of wort is usually not recommended. You have a very large quantity of yeast all vying for a small quantity of nutrients. The end result is stunted yeast due to lack of nutrients and a poor start to your fermentation.

If you want to have a crack at starters using dried yeast, buy a better quality yeast than your wander, use about 5-10% of the pack, tightly reseal the pack and store in a clean ziplock bag in the fridge. Pitch the dried yeast to the correct amount of wort.

Rather than mucking about with making starters from dried yeast, just lash out and buy a fresh pack. They have dropped in price and represent good value for brewers. They are so easy to use compared to making starters, just snip and sprinkle on your wort. Less risk of infection.

The second golden rule is to use 1.040 sg wort for starters. This is equivalent to 100gms of DME to one litre of water, simmered for 10 minutes and allowed to cool.

Be as clean as possible with your sanitation when dealing with starters.

Your one litre jars would probably be perfect for yeast washing, so don't throw them away.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement Pint...Cheers!! :beer:
Actually Pint this is how I made the starter...
Ingredients:
50g LDM
500ml water
Method:
Micro'd water in pyrex jug for 3mins, added LDM and micro'd for further 10mins on MED(this produced a nice boil, not overly excessive...mind you the micro does pulsate so the boil went from light to med over the 10mins).
I prepared this about the same time yesty(24hrs ago).

Back