My Wife's Bitter [and Twisted]

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digger11

Reaction score
Been trying to find a beer I like. Myu home brews have not really been to my or anyone else's) liking.

Tried a "My Wifes Bitter" last night and it was rather good.

Goldings and East Kent Fuggles for hops and an IBU of 18.

Now, looking at most recipes for HB, they are around 30-30 IBU's.

Is there a reason that most HB recipes have such a high IBU ???

Been trying to find a beer I like. Myu home brews have not really been to my or anyone else's) liking.

Tried a "My Wifes Bitter" last night and it was rather good.

Goldings and East Kent Fuggles for hops and an IBU of 18.

Now, looking at most recipes for HB, they are around 30-30 IBU's.

Is there a reason that most HB recipes have such a high IBU ???

To be fair I would call 18 IBU rather low. They are the sort of bittering levels that we are talking about for styles like a Premium American Lager, Munich Helles, Scottish 60/- or Mild. English Ordinary Bitters really should be around the 30 mark (25 to 35 to be precise). Feel free to tone it down to 20 IBU but at that level it really is becoming a Mild rather than a Bitter.

To help us help you, it would probably be of assistance if you told us about some of the other beers you do like so that appropriate styles can be suggested. Based on your last thread it appears that you may just not like beers with much if any bitterness and we may be able to help you.

thanks dgilks, I am off for a break for a week and will try some diff beers. I don't mind Platinum Blonde at the moment, but will report back on the ones I like.

Thanks for your help

Less body and malt flavour in the beer will accentuate hop bitterness, which is why Emu Bitter always spouted that they had '23 International Bitterness Units' proudly in their advertising campaign. As homebrewers, we all realised that 23 was on the lower end of the spectrum, but we tend to produce beers with more malt flavour and body, and consequentially hop them higher to allow the hops to shine through.

Anyway, to answer the last part, not all HB is 30IBU's. Check out the style guidelines and you'll notice that IBU's range from about 8 for light lagers through to 100+ for some IPA's, and homebrewers often stick to these as a guide. If you're seeing IBU's of 30ish, you're probably looking at Pale Ale, Bitter and Special Bitter recipes, as this is the range they should be in. The beer you mention, if it is a Bitter, is low on bitterness as the style guidelines say 25-35IBU for this style.

Good beer doesn't have to put hair on your chest. In Germany weizens are "chick's beer"; in Australia they are delicious MAN'S BOOZE.

Whatever tickles your (or your wife's or your own) fancy.

Back