My Weizen Recipe?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morry

Reaction score
Hi guys just wondering if you can let me know what you think about the brew I put on a couple of days ago.

Aiming for a nice weizen, something along the lines of weihenstephaner.
Was going to put on an APA but they didnt have the right yeast, so weizen it is.

3kg Coopers Liquid Wheat Extract
400g Hoepfner Wheat Malt
100g Barley
Hallertau at 20IBU
Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephaner.

I was pleased when I opened up the yeast packet, it smelt just like the beer Im trying to create. It dropped from 1.055 to 1.035 in 24 hours and tastes ok in the fermenter. I steeped the grains for about 30 mins, then added the liquid to the rest of the boil for a further 45 mins.

Cheers,

Sean

Morry, that looks pretty good to me. Just watch your temp with the 3068. Around 19C for a good balance of bananas and cloves. And a tip to keep the colour down,
just make up your boil wort to 1.050 and add the rest of the extract about 10 mins before the end.

- Snow

Thanks Snow. The weather in Melbourne has been pretty good, the beers sitting at about 18 or so.

Sounds like a good Weizen. Please report further.
The 3068 yeast should produce the right flavours for you too.
I have been known to boil the hops in 7 litres of water for 50 min, and then add the extract(s) and boil for a further 10, before force-cooling.

Am interested to hear if some malt needs to be added earlier in the boil.

Weizguy - where do you buy your Wyeast from?

I am really keen to get a fair-dinkum Weizen brew down, but none of my local HBS' in Sydney seem to sell the Wyeast. (Previous attempt with K-97 SAFYeast was pretty ordinary).

Signed,
A desperate Weizen drinker (who can't afford $80 a case)

I got my yeast from my lhbs, who used to work for another lhbs.

I'm sure that you could get a comparable Whitelabs product. Hell, they prob came from the same yeast bank in Europe originally, although they may have changed slightly to adapt to different culture techniques.

In fact, I'm hanging to try the Whitelabs weizen yeast that James Squire used for their Colonial Wheat Beer. Very fruit salad. Mmmmm.

Anybody live in Crow's neighbourhood, who can spare some weizen yeast?? What neighbourhood was it, crow?

crow said:
I am really keen to get a fair-dinkum Weizen brew down, but none of my local HBS' in Sydney seem to sell the Wyeast.
Thats a good point, thinking about what you said, i have never seen a Sydney HBS sell wyeast, only whitelab products.

Personally it seems that Sydney people are starting to miss out, as i reckon Wyeast are increasing their range more and at a more competitive price in contrast to Whitelab.

Doesn't stop me from using Whitelabs though!

Will

I've used both the Wyeast 3068 and the Whitelabs 300 and they're both great for the style. The 3068 produces a few more esters at high temps (i.e 22C and over).

- Snow

I have been using Wyeast 3056 Wheat/ Ale blend for years, and only recently tried W3068.

Have fermented with W3056 up to ambient temps of up to 26 C, and won a local brewcomp with it, too.

My lhbs has just ordered 3 or 4 more new yeast varieties for me, and I will advise how the wheat beers fare.

Tasted my 2nd stubbie of my weizen for the Summer season yesterday with Mark at my lhbs, as well as a smallie of Sierra Nevada clone (part mash).

Maybe Crow and I could start a weizen-appreciation collective. BTW, crow, have U tasted the Mango Weizen at the Lowenbrau Keller at The Rocks? it's Franziskaner weizen and mango juice - refreshing but not an all-niter.

I only just tried some Weihenstephaner Hefe and Dunkel's for the first time this arvo and man, they were mathafackin delicious. What a Summer quencher that hefeweissbier is!
I'm pretty keen to try a recipe like that for my next brew, Morry.

Well, Ive been drinking this for a couple of weeks now and its not too bad. taflex, one of the reasons I did a weizen was because I tried the weihenstephaner hefe about a week before!

Mine is not as good as that, but still, a drinkable beer. Perhaps a little plain, but the yeast did a good job at producing all the right smells. Even my carlton cold drinking mate could pick the banana esters!

I think next time, Ill try and keep it a bit cooler, it has some funky flavours in there (maybe phenols??) but all in all a good beer.

Dave at Hop to It on Botany Rd, Botany; sells BOTH Wyeast and White labs yeasts!!!!

Linz said:
Dave at Hop to It on Botany Rd, Botany; sells BOTH Wyeast and White labs yeasts!!!!
Dang, wish I knew that. I was there on Tuesday.

Doc

Kev at Kirrawee home brew also sells Wyeast, but you usually have to give him a ring as he orders it in specially and doesnt keep any in stock.

One thing I loved about the weihensteph hefe was its citric-lemon zing. What's the consensus on putting lemon peel in a recipe like this?

And what about bottle conditioning? Yours must still be quite young, Morry. What's a good time to leave a beer like this in the bottle before drinking?

I dunno about lemon peel. I know the kind of flavour youre talking about, but the beer adheres to the purity laws. So only malt, hops, yeast and water are to be used. So they obviously use something else.

As for bottle conditioning, mine is only a few weeks old, I left it for two weeks and it wasnt bad. Hopefully it will continue to improve with age.
Hmm, I might have to go crack one open. Perfect post-gym drink :D

morry said:
Hi guys just wondering if you can let me know what you think about the brew I put on a couple of days ago.

Aiming for a nice weizen, something along the lines of weihenstephaner.
Was going to put on an APA but they didnt have the right yeast, so weizen it is.

3kg Coopers Liquid Wheat Extract
400g Hoepfner Wheat Malt
100g Barley
Hallertau at 20IBU
Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephaner.

I was pleased when I opened up the yeast packet, it smelt just like the beer Im trying to create. It dropped from 1.055 to 1.035 in 24 hours and tastes ok in the fermenter. I steeped the grains for about 30 mins, then added the liquid to the rest of the boil for a further 45 mins.

Cheers,

Sean
[post="38520"][/post]​

I thought that there was no benifit from steeping wheat malt and that it needed to be mashed. Is this not the case?

Latest posts

Back