My Sydney Trip

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henno

Beermologist
Reaction score
I am off to Sydney for the Christmas break to catch up with some relatives. I can see no reason why I should not enjoy a few pleasant ales in my town of birth during this visit.

I have had a bit of a search on this part of the forum and turned up some hits on Paddy's brewery in Flemington which looks like it is visited by some of our members. Would anybody know any other places I could whet my whistle in Sydney? Or indeed if anybody would like to join my wife and I at any of these locations that could end up fun as well. We'll be in town on 22nd,23rd and 24th December.

Cheers
Henno

Won't be about, Henno, unfortunately, but a good place to start might be to search previous Sydney Pub Crawl threads for drinking spots... Dependant on where you are staying of course (might be a good idea to post it)

IMO.. The Lord Nelson is a great place to start, their Old Admiral is awesome... The Belgian is not far down the road, but a bit ahrd on the wallet. There's also the Australian nearby and the Lowenbrau for the usual German selection and some seasonals. The Macquaries Hotel has another micro and a good range of beers and seasonals and there's also the local Taphouse in Darlinghurst that has a great range of beers on tap and bottled..

But if you can get out to Flemington, I'd definitely pull in at Paddy's for sure. The Dark Horse (or Dirty Angel) is an amwesome beer that you won't want to walk away from... Hope you enjoy your stay... :)

Make sure you give me a yell & I will be at Paddy's to show you through all the shiny pots & pans

But if you can get out to Flemington, I'd definitely pull in at Paddy's for sure. The Dark Horse is an amwesome beer that you won't want to walk away from... Hope you enjoy your stay... :)

With only about 60 litres left you had better be quick if you want to try the Dark Horse, if all goes to plan it won't ever be back on tap.........well not at Paddys anyway :p

Cheers
Gerard

To add to schooeys list I would say redoak is worth a look in (but also a bit pricey) and the James Squire Brewhouse, even if only for their in house beers (Highwayman, Governor King, ???)

Went to "The Local Taphouse" (cnr of Sth dowling and Flinders st) sunday before the pearl jam concert and they had a great selection of beers on tap. Exy but worth it. All the good international stuff.

If you do the ferry ride to Manly I suggest the 4 Pines. Right opposite the Manly Wharf.

Their Koelsch took out the top beer award at the annual Australian Beer Festival in the Rocks in October.
Sit out on the balcony with good food and a beer and look over the warf towards Sydney harbour. Hard to beat.
Check out their website www.4pinesbeer.com.au I believe menue only available on weekends.
Article in the last Beer & Brewer magazine.

c1b

Taphouse defintely. Depending where your from it might seem exxy, I found it quite reasonable compared to most of the sydney drinkin I've done, and for primo beers at that!

Righto, got all that and have done a bit more research now. Looks like from north to south it would be the Lord Nelson, Red Oak, Macquarie Hotel then the Taphouse.

I'd love to get out to Flemington to see Paddy's but may have to do that one during the day by myself while the wife gets her shopping fix.
Thanks to all for the good info guys.

Taphouse defintely. Depending where your from it might seem exxy, I found it quite reasonable compared to most of the sydney drinkin I've done, and for primo beers at that!

$12 for a pint of weihenstephaner original. You can buy a bottle for $6 at dan's.

Not that double the price justifies it, but I bet the keg at the Taphouse is a lot fresher than the bottle at Dans... When I go to the Taphouse, I try and sample something that I can't get or haven't seen anywhere else..... then the price doesn't seem so bad

Man I still remember the Kstritzer schwarzbier from May, it was awesome.... :icon_drool2:

With only about 60 litres left you had better be quick if you want to try the Dark Horse, if all goes to plan it won't ever be back on tap.........well not at Paddys anyway :p

Cheers
Gerard

:icon_offtopic: Something in the pipeline Gerard :unsure:

Latest posts

Back