my score yesterday

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You got given all this stuff for free?? *******! Nice score.

The crimp style Oetiker clamps are not reusable.

Neither the hose clamps nor the beer line are very expensive or hard to get. Given the filth in the fridge, you may just want to replace them.

pcqypcqy said:
You wouldn't even need to heat it up. Add it to cold water and it should warm up by itself pretty quickly.
true, depends on how hot you want it I guess.

Without turning this into a caustic thread, look up caustic safety before using it. There are right and wrongs ways to use it which I won't elaborate on. Very effective, but follow directions and treat with extreme caution.

thanks for all the information guys, as always you lot are a great help.

Give the clips the kibar..

PITA IMO

Used them on all connections on install. now have them on no connections.

My gas lines seal without them. Now much easier to replace lines without them

What kind of caustic are you guys on about?? spurting and spluttering and being all nasty? Sodium hydroxide at 3% into 80°C water. Never carries on. Yeah gloves and goggles, but wow, never seen any eruptions like you're talking about.

TheWiggman said:
  1. Heat some water to 40°C, tip in 2l of it with 120g of caustic soda / sodium hydroxide powder.
That'd be 120gm of 99% sodium hydroxide into 2L making the final concentration 6%.

If your watering down 3% I don't know how clean things will get! :blink:

FINE THEN, let's turn it into a caustic thread. Note that I'm not a chemist, but I read this on my packet of caustic:
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1472214670.917876.jpg
I then followed online advice that high temps work better. I put it in my mash tun at the recommended dilution ratio and heated it to 80°C. It absolutely annihilated the lines drawing out all sorts of scale and leftovers. The mash run was left sheening, a clear silver ring (SS pot) left where the liquid level was. Absolutely brilliantly clean. At that temp and dilution ratio. Even after I've used PBW at the recommended ratio and temps for 2 years. It's a great product and if the production department at the company I work for is any indication, THE product to clean organic matter.
Look up photos of 'caustic accidents' for evidence if why I recommend care should be taken. It's easy to put in a set of goggles and rubber gloves, less easy to regain sight after accidentally dropping something.
Back to this stellar deal on kegs and kegerator that I'm jealous of now please.

homebrewkid said:
I dont see myself needing 3 of them but im in sydney.
Will definitely keep 2 but not sure what i will do with the other one yet.
I'm also in Sydney and would be happy to take it off your hands. Are you interested in selling it?

Tony121 said:
I'm also in Sydney and would be happy to take it off your hands. Are you interested in selling it?
Yeah possibly.
Semd me a pm so we can discuss it.

mckenry said:
What kind of caustic are you guys on about?? spurting and spluttering and being all nasty? Sodium hydroxide at 3% into 80°C water. Never carries on. Yeah gloves and goggles, but wow, never seen any eruptions like you're talking about.
I've not seen it either, I'm just going by what it says on the container. And following advice I've read on this board to mix cold then heat up.

dannymars said:
true, depends on how hot you want it I guess.
I do this for soap making, and the recipe I use has 172g caustic soda in 450mL water. I usually have to wait a while for it to cool down to the 60 degrees I need it to be to go to the next step. I wouldn't want to see what it's like with hot water :)

Back