My Pirate Life Throwback IPA clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this popped up for me via that link...
Aussie Home Brewer - Error
The controller XenForo_ControllerPublic_Thread does not define an action called PirateLifeThrowbackCloneSessionIpa.

Thanks for that. Fixed the link.

I like the sound of your first attempt description. As say a home brewed improved version of the TBIPA. My impression of that beer is that its close to IPA character only being at 4% but not quite there because its 4% etc. Lacking that extra body and fullness so the bitterness is a bit too sharp as a result. Thanks for sharing your experiment/recipe etc. I rely on Hop stands for the big dose to eliminate o2 exposure possibilities. Go the Sessionable IPA thing tho. Big flavor beers at 4% better for health, I think?
$0.02

Thanks! Yes it's meant to have the balance (i.e. quite bitter) and hoppiness of an IPA, but without the high alcohol content. The attraction for me is I can have a nice hoppy beer or two on a school night without feeling the effects as much.

I hear you on eliminating O2 exposure - it's something I've been taking a lot of steps to reduce. I wouldn't have thought a hop stand would be able to completely replace dry hopping though - have you made any IPAs this way?

There's quite a few session IPAs about these days. I haven't heard the term "SIPA" before, I think you may have coined it just now :)

For hop-forward beers I add all of my dry hops at the start of primary or during while it is highly active so that any oxygen introduced is minimal and pushed out. Not sure if biotransformation helps but since I've been doing it I've been very happy with my hop aromas.

For hop-forward beers I add all of my dry hops at the start of primary or during while it is highly active so that any oxygen introduced is minimal and pushed out. Not sure if biotransformation helps but since I've been doing it I've been very happy with my hop aromas.

I’ve thought of doing that before, but never tried it. This time around I’m fermenting in a keg, so my plan is to dry hop and then purge the headspace a few times to hopefully remove most of the oxygen.

Thanks for that. Fixed the link.

Thanks! Yes it's meant to have the balance (i.e. quite bitter) and hoppiness of an IPA, but without the high alcohol content. The attraction for me is I can have a nice hoppy beer or two on a school night without feeling the effects as much.

I hear you on eliminating O2 exposure - it's something I've been taking a lot of steps to reduce. I wouldn't have thought a hop stand would be able to completely replace dry hopping though - have you made any IPAs this way?

There's quite a few session IPAs about these days. I haven't heard the term "SIPA" before, I think you may have coined it just now :)

Hey can you tell me where you get the weyermann grain
I'm in Victoria & ihave tried the local & the web but can't find all of the grain that you have in your recipe

Back