My Own Kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hoppyhead
You are on the right track, thats for sure. Basically, what you said is all you need to do - get some unhopped extract, some grain steeped in water, and boil it with hops of your choice - simple.
Generally, you would probably steep say 400g cracked crystal malt in a couple of litres of water, maybe 6, if yer pot holds that much. then you add about 500g of the malt extract, bring it to the boil, and add (for an America Pale Ale) about 30 grams of northern brewer, and boil it for 60 mins. When there is 20 mins left, add about 30g of cascade, and then at 5 mins left, add another 30g cascade (I used to put my hops in a section of stocking to get em out again after the boil easier). After flameout, I used to add the rest of the malt extract, though some prefer to boil it for a few minutes.
Chill the whole lot in the sink like Pint of Lager said, add it to your fermenter, and top it up with cool water to 23L (or whatever your target is), adn then pitch in some US56 yeast. Log onto www.howtobrew.com and look up the extract brewing section, and it will tell ya all ya need to know, and show ya with pictures.
By the way, base malt is usually pale or pils grains, and malt extract if referred to as LME or DME (liquid or dry)
All the best
Trent

Thanks Trent. So the wetpaks that hte country brewer have is brewing an extract brew! It sound s pretty easy. After I have used the Tin I have here, I will give it a go. Wow, It is almost like starting brewing all over again.

Latest posts

Back