My new toy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I grew up with one as akid, and I thibk this is the same vintage

Ya cant kill em and all the bits interchange

They are an awesome bit of kit to have if you like cooking

The Grafton Cigar

sausage pipe.jpg

Bahaha

I know a few butchers so i am going to get some ideas for recipes and techniques :D

Dried fennel flower (pick wild and dry in a very slow oven) is a great addition to spicy pork and fennel sausage. Different flavour to the seeds (which I'd use in combination).

Ducatiboy stu said:
Scored this last week for the grand total of $20

Has whisk, K beater, dough hook, mincer and blender ( glass one )

Just need the sausage pipe and I am set

attachicon.gif
kenwood.jpg
Apparently my mum has, unbeknownst to me, held a garage sale.
You know its actually worth the effort of pulling the top off for a quick clean and light grease with a machine like that. If only to reminisce how shit that was engineered to be passed down rather than replaced every other month was built.
And dont get an appendage stuck in any of the appliances. That ballsy motor will rip it straight off.

Ducatiboy stu said:
I grew up with one as akid, and I thibk this is the same vintage

Ya cant kill em and all the bits interchange

They are an awesome bit of kit to have if you like cooking
I have one with snapped hinges...
They can be broken

Mine is the A701a model built in the 70's

Still goes like brand new

I told the wife not to throw it out, that I would just braze the hinges
Yeah, pretty sure she threw it out...

My mum got one of those in 1970 when she got married. Still going strong. I bought one of the newer ones (relatively speaking) about 15 years ago. Awesome. All they changed was the finish... Newer one is all stainless not white enamel.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Scored this last week for the grand total of $20

Has whisk, K beater, dough hook, mincer and blender ( glass one )

Just need the sausage pipe and I am set

attachicon.gif
kenwood.jpg
Top mixers.
Noisy as buggery though

Thanks for this post. I've been holding out for a semi-pro Kitchen-Aid for years, as I used one for years as a pastry chef. However, this looks like a totally reasonable alternative. Already found three of the same model :)

Mardoo said:
Thanks for this post. I've been holding out for a semi-pro Kitchen-Aid for years, as I used one for years as a pastry chef. However, this looks like a totally reasonable alternative. Already found three of the same model :)
Tell me that you have never used a Kenwood Chef...

Do they still make them or has the Thermomix taken over

Bet you cant get hot soup sprayed in ya face with a Chef

Good old Aunty Marg used to make me a lemon meringue slice with her Ken, bloody beautiffull.

I have (my wife has) the Kitchenaid Artisan Mardoo, which I make the bread dough in, it can handle a kilo of dough easy enough but tends to spin the dough around with the hook so I use a wooden spoon to stretch it off the hook so in effect keeping the dough stretching. I have broken 1 spoon but with practice can get into rhythm with the hook and the dough is done in 5 or 6 mins. But when I broke the spoon I thought I had stuffed the motor and even the second hand ones are expensive. I would imagine that the one stu has bought are a bit like the old washing machines which will just keep on going, but when I thought I had stuffed our machine I looked on Aliexpress and you can get good strong looking high watt machines at a reasonable price, if I ever do have to replace mine (ours) I will get one from there, unless those Kenwoods can handle a kilo of dough stu didn't say how much dough he made when he made his bread.

Ha! Yeah, the art of timing the turn of the mixer so you can get in and scrape down the bowl without turning the mixer off. Took a few spatulas for me to work that out.

wide eyed and legless said:
unless those Kenwoods can handle a kilo of dough stu didn't say how much dough he made when he made his bread.
I borrowed my mum's old kenwood for a year before I bought mine and it will handle a kilo of dough with ease.

I have reverted to hand kneading though as with teenagers one kilo of dough goes basically nowhere. I'm doing 5 kilo batches now and it barely lasts a week. On the up side I don't need a gym membership...

Yes the dough can just roll around the hook, but will do that with most machines anyway. I actually found increasing the speed helped stop it happening

Its pretty much the same as the Kitchen Aid...even the mixers & beaters look the same

Back