My New Brewstand

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
warrenlw63 said:
Dave,

What about a concrete paver like I've got? This would probably work. I just slotted it into the dexion. Cost me about $10.

Warren -
[post="69166"][/post]​

That sounds perfect. Never even thought of using concrete.

I'll give that a go.

Cheers
Dave

Airgead said:
Folks

I could get hold of some aluminium check plate but thats pretty pricey new. What do you guys use?

Cheers
Dave
[post="69156"][/post]​
Pick your nearest sheet metal fabricator out of the yello pages and ask for a piece of 16gge or 10gge mild steel sheet. He will probably have a bit lying under his guillotine and will crop to size. If you pick the right guy, it may cost you no more than 1/2 doz unwanted stubbies that one of your mates left in your fridge so he could drink your good beer all night.

Airgead said:
I could get hold of some aluminium check plate but thats pretty pricey new. What do you guys use?

Cheers
Dave
[post="69156"][/post]​
you've got a scrapyard in hornsby that does heaps of 2nd hand stuff - visited him on my recent aus tour - you'll get the plate there & heaps of interesting other stuff to browse over....

This is my brew stand - the boiler section is attatched to a simple boat winch, this enables me to lift the boiler full of wort, upto a height for easy transfer under gravity into the fermenter. Keeps the whole rig from being too high...

brew_stand.jpg

I had a bit of a tinker with my stand today, also fitted taps to the mash tun (Esky) and my second keg.
I did a trial run with plain cold water to check for leaks and make sure things go as planned, it worked like a dream. all I need to do now is clean the kegs out before I use them and get on with an AG brew.
As far as I know the last thing in the kegs before I got them was Cascade premium :eek: what action should I take to rid this evil from my keg and make it clean and ready for my brewday? Soak in Napisan? Do you also use Napisan on your esky? :unsure:

I did think about moving my kettle up a notch or two on the dexion frame but it is just above the height of my fermenter lid and drained into it easily so decided against it, maybe I will change my mind after a brewday with this setup..we will see.

Here she is ready to rock and roll.

stand.jpg

Airgead said:
Folks

Question for all you brewstand builders. I'm in the process of building mine using slotted angle with some pieces of 18mm mdf for the Mash esky and HLT shelves (cos I happen to have it lying around). The only problem is what to use for the shelf for the burner (4 ring cast iron job). I suspect MDF would char as the burner gets pretty hot. I could get hold of some aluminium check plate but thats pretty pricey new. What do you guys use?

Cheers
Dave
[post="69156"][/post]​

Sorry Dave. I would not use MDF for shelving either as it does not like moisture. I can bet that no matter how careful you are you are going to spill some liquid of sorts on it.
That is from experiance... As regards the four ring burner (I have one also), I would use it on the floor or concrete as in my case rather than on a shelf. Use a pump if it is necessary to move liquid around...

:chug:
PeterS....

Brizbrew,

It's starting to look the goods. :super: Don't worry too much about the Napisan. If you want to it's OK to use in your Esky. That said if your Esky is new why bother. As for the kettles just do a water boil in them. They should be clean enough.

If your kettle drains to your fermenters without too much trouble don't bother moving it. Didn't realise you use shorter fermenters. I use glass carboys which measure 60cm top to bottom.

You're like me. Mine's all ready to go. :) It's a bit like the proverbial racehorse in the barrier. I've just got to find a day when I can brew. They're few and far between at the moment. <_<

Warren -

Firstly, Brizbrew, enviable setup! A tribute to the laws of gravity, themodynamics, and all that other good stuff that was invented to make beer.

Question: How do you heat the water in the top keg? Am I missing something, or is that still coming?

Next Question: What's the honest way of obtaining kegs? I don't believe I've I'm not in a hurry to go AG, so I'd like to keep my feelers our for an (honest) bargain.

Well here's my 2c and entry for the dodgiest brewstand.... ;)

Yes I am still using the elcheapo plastic fermenter for now but have been looking for a reasonably priced glass carboy, they are a little expensive compared to plastic but it is the way I am headed, once I get one I will re adjust my height settings on the stand, that is the thing with dexion, it is totally adjustable and adaptable. :super:

I will give the kegs a good boil out and prepare them for an imminent brewday, I am raring to go. I have now made a copper IC and small pre chiller for the summer, not bad for $68.

The water in the top keg is going to be heated with my NASA, I am in the process of building a shelf to take the burner. I am going to make the prototype from an old cut off of wood I liberated from my father in law but eventually am wanting chequeplate or similar.

Dazzling, you seem to be missing a picture of your brewstand? :p

After a trip to Batz's Brewery and looking at all of the brewstands you guys have been posting I had to upgrade and make a serious effort.
So, out with the old

And in with the new

new_brew_stand_006.jpg
still a lot of work to do, including the plumbing for the new pump

Pump
new_brew_stand_005.jpg

I am seriously looking forward to my first brew on this system but I think there is another 2 weeks of work to go yet.

Andrew

Andrew,

That is looking seriously impressive. :rolleyes: What sort of metal is that you've used for the stand? Is it weldless?

Keep the pics coming. That's going to be a nice rig. :super:

Warren -

Warren,

I went to Bunnings last week and they had on special for $75.00, a shelf system that can be built either as a 5 shelf set or a bench. I had a look at their display and it seemed very strong. It is rated for each shelf to be able to hold 350kg. Sounds perfect.
new_brew_stand_008.jpg

I cut up the 25mm square aluminium legs from my old system and used these as supports for my HLT, Boiler and mash tun.

I will post more pics when it is completed.

Cheers
Andrew

Andrew, what material are the shelves? From the look of the photo they smell a bit like MDF... :blink:

They are MDF, but there not staying, I am getting some aluminium sheeting from a mate. I just put them on to give an idea of the layout.
Also today I added an electric starter for the gas ring.

Andrew

AndrewQLD said:
They are MDF, but there not staying, I am getting some aluminium sheeting from a mate. I just put them on to give an idea of the layout.
Also today I added an electric starter for the gas ring.

Andrew
[post="69351"][/post]​

Andrew, I did not picture you as such a cruel person. You should not have shown me those pictures as a picture is worth a thousand words so they say. Alas, I can't afford such a nice set up. Batz will be happy to note that you are using a Marsh pump, even though the plumbing is not stainless. One day I will just have to immitate you. Looking Good mate...In the mean time, just think of me bailing from the boiler to the HLT with a 2L jug than gravity feed from there. Oh well, beggers can't be choosers...

:beer:
PeterS....

Peter,
All good things ect, ect.
Unfortunately that's not a march pump, it is in fact a pressure pump using a diahpragm rather than magnetic drive. Not the best choice but a cheaper option for the moment. The march pump will come in time.

Cheers
Andrew

AndrewQLD said:
Peter,
All good things ect, ect.
Unfortunately that's not a march pump, it is in fact a pressure pump using a diahpragm rather than magnetic drive. Not the best choice but a cheaper option for the moment. The march pump will come in time.

Cheers
Andrew
[post="69363"][/post]​

That's all the better for me Andrew. When you are ready for the March pump, I might just score your second hand pressure pump (Providing it does the job). Don't forget the old soldier,wink wink etc. In the mean time, I will be just as happy to be a couple of places behind you guys and finish my stir plate project for now...

:beer:
PeterS....

Ross said:
you've got a scrapyard in hornsby that does heaps of 2nd hand stuff - visited him on my recent aus tour - you'll get the plate there & heaps of interesting other stuff to browse over....
[post="69177"][/post]​

Ross

Thanks for the tip. I'll look them up.

As it happens I had a brainwave and remembered that I had a box of vitrified ceramic tiles in the shed left over from tiling the bathroom floor. Two of those on top of a piece of MDF make a fantastic burner shelf (and lighter than a concrete paver too).

I am using MDF for the moment (as I have just built a desk and have heaps of 25 and 18mm pieces as offcuts). I am painting them so moisture shouldn't be too much of an issue. I have a huge desk to paint so a couple of shelves isn't that much of a hassle. They will last until I can get something more durable anyway.

Cheers
Dave

Latest posts

Back