My New Brewstand

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice job guys... but they all seem to be missing a mini-me platform B)

IMG_1126.jpg

Asher for now

Doc, how does access to your esky go. It all seems a bit of a tight vertical stack. Or is it better from another angle?

Borret

Brizbrew said:
I am also worried about the steam condensing and dripping back into the kettle taking all sorts back with it.

[post="69092"][/post]​

Brizbrew,

Could be an issue, however I'm planning to add an extraction fan to the top of mine. Got an old rangehood fan just itching to be pulled out of it's housing and mounted on top of the stand. That said from what I've seen with mine (yet to do a brew on it) I've boiled up 30 litres of water and the condensation doesn't seem to drip back.

Brizbrew said:
How easily did you convert your HLT to electric and how long does it take to boil up for a brewday?
[post="69092"][/post]​

Converting to electric is simple. You really only need a 2400watt element. IIRC the hole for the element is about 30mm. A capiliary thermostat with a temp range from about ambient to boiling is also required. The can be purchased commercially or made yourself. There's a couple of threads on this forum explaining this. My HLT is my old boiler (no wife jokes :lol: ) I just promoted it to HLT use.

You don't really need to boil your water. Just get it to mash/sparge temps. Mine is setup on a timer to come on a couple of hours before I get up in the morning.

Brizbrew said:
Another thing I have been thinking about is how do you know when the strike/sparge water is at the correct temperature when it is way above your head and you don't yet own a tel tru type thermometer?
[post="69092"][/post]​

Very difficult Brizbrew. Only thing I can suggest is to get yourself on to Ebay and try and score one on the cheap. That said a reasonable thermostat with reliably hold you in your temp range anyway.

Warren -

Geez Asher,

Thanks for bringing us all back to reality. (Green envy emoticom) :lol:

BTW I've got a mini-me stool. It's made from a chopped up stool and BBQ. :blink:

Warren -

DSC00149.JPG

I don't know if it would work but I have been toying with the idea of using an electric kettle element or maybe 2 to bring the sparge water up to temp. I was going to buy an elcheapo kettle from BigW or similar and take it to bits and see how it goes, could this work?
This could be a cheap way of converting to electric but could also be a quick and easy way to electrocute myself, I am no electrician.

For the first few goes I will see how it goes with the NASA and take it from there.

Now only if I knew how to add those arrow thingies to my pics. I could point out that the black bin on the right was my mini me stool.

Fortunately. since I got the esky I don't need to stand on it to mash in any more!

Don't need it to fill the HLT either.

Brizbrew said:
I don't know if it would work but I have been toying with the idea of using an electric kettle element or maybe 2 to bring the sparge water up to temp. I was going to buy an elcheapo kettle from BigW or similar and take it to bits and see how it goes, could this work?
This could be a cheap way of converting to electric but could also be a quick and easy way to electrocute myself, I am no electrician.

For the first few goes I will see how it goes with the NASA and take it from there.
[post="69110"][/post]​

Yep, Taking one from an electric kettle would most likely work. That said you can purchase one from your HBS for about $35. They're not too difficult to fit through the hole in the keg. Just use plenty of plumber's tape on the thread. You may also need some silicone sealant if this does not work.

Yes, you can electrocute yourself if you're not careful. OTOH You can also BBQ your face if a NASA hose decides to blow at eye-level.

Warren -

Linz said:
Doc said:
I don't mean to offend anyone but I don't know what it is with these Dexion brew stands; they just freak me out.
Beers,
Doc
[post="69088"][/post]​

Doc,

My brew stand doesn't go anywhere near being taller than my patio roof though!!!!
[post="69094"][/post]​

It actually fits nicely under the patio, so I can brew in all weathers.

Borret said:
Doc, how does access to your esky go. It all seems a bit of a tight vertical stack. Or is it better from another angle?

Borret
[post="69099"][/post]​

There is enough room to fully open the esky lid and have access.
However for mashing in I underlet. Much easier and less hassle.

Beers,
Doc

Doc,

Dexion can be a bit wonky in a stand-alone situation. However braced up to a solid surface it becomes a very different situation.

Mine's bolted to the wall and floor. You could almost land a Jumbo Jet on it now. Very solid.

Warren -

Although mine is note yet really finished, I have taken a different approach again. Mainly due to price and availability and where I will/can brew. I will try and take some photo's on the weekend. I still have other ideas on a more permentant setup.

Consequently I passed up a 19inch cabinet for free this week at work. Stores was chucking 5 of them out . I'm not one to pass up a bargain but it wasn't quite as deep as yours doc and it seemed to flimsy. Transporting that baby 40k's home down the freeway without a trailer would also be a hassle too..

I must say that dexion has it's place but there's a few other options I would explore before it. I would like the flexibility of packing stuff away to make use of shed space for other things when not in use. But everyone has their own situation and what will work best will vary.

Cheers

Borret

edit: spell

Brizbrew said:
Another thing I have been thinking about is how do you know when the strike/sparge water is at the correct temperature when it is way above your head and you don't yet own a tel tru type thermometer?

:ph34r:
[post="69092"][/post]​
Brisbrew,
I use this meat thermo, $25.00 from grain n grape + $5.00 for some 1/4" shrink tube from DSE to make it immersible without going into conniptions. I use the one unit for water, mash and monitoring fermentation temps and its not let me down in two years

Borret Quote "I must say that dexion has it's place but there's a few other options I would explore before it. I would like the flexibility of packing stuff away to make use of shed space for other things when not in use. "

Put it on wheels. The only way to go IMHO
cheers
Darren

P7290001.JPG
Brizbrew said:

:ph34r:
[post="69092"][/post]​
Brisbrew,
I use this meat thermo, $25.00 from grain n grape + $5.00 for some 1/4" shrink tube from DSE to make it immersible without going into conniptions. I use the one unit for water, mash and monitoring fermentation temps and its not let me down in two years

Folks

Question for all you brewstand builders. I'm in the process of building mine using slotted angle with some pieces of 18mm mdf for the Mash esky and HLT shelves (cos I happen to have it lying around). The only problem is what to use for the shelf for the burner (4 ring cast iron job). I suspect MDF would char as the burner gets pretty hot. I could get hold of some aluminium check plate but thats pretty pricey new. What do you guys use?

Cheers
Dave

Airgead said:
What do you guys use?

Cheers
Dave
[post="69156"][/post]​

Dave.

Cast iron. $25 from Bunnings for a 2.2 metre length.

Warren -

DSC00049.JPG

Warren,

Is that aluminium angle your using to support the your boiler? I ask because I am making my new stand and was wondering what to use to support the boiler.

Andrew

Andrew,

It's cast-iron. Not sure how aluminium would go. Suspect that would be OK too. Though probably more expensive.

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
Cast iron. $25 from Bunnings for a 2.2 metre length.

Warren -
[post="69160"][/post]​

Warren

My burner has a built in trivit thing to sit the boiler on. My problem is what to sit the burner on. Even the bottom of it gets hot enough to char mdf after an hours running.

I could run a few pieces of cast irn across and sit it on that but I would prefer a solid shelf for stability.

Cheers
Dave

Dave,

What about a concrete paver like I've got? This would probably work. I just slotted it into the dexion. Cost me about $10.

Warren -

Back