My New Bling...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I'm just bout to take the stuff back to Bunnings, then I will get in touch with you later this arvo Domonsura...by the way I take it your a fitter/turner??It will be interesting to see what does happen to the levels of lead in the beer, etc...Don't drink it though Domonsura, not at least until you make the parts for me ;-)

Brass is OK for the brewing process because it is only a brief amount of time that any wort is going to be in contact with the brass unlike the fermenting process where you're beer will be in contact for extended periods at a time.

i think youve made the right decision maltaddict , after all is a few extra buck saving worth it if you or someone else end up ill as a result of something funky happenin as a result of the brass , i wasnt and i dont think anyone else was trying to shitcan your ideas , just concerned as to what it might do to your beers and in turn you ...

btw domonsura i think 3/4 is the thread size of the fermenter too , which is probably why he picked that size too ... could ber a good idea to use the fermenter thread still as well as lock nuts on the back.. dunno just an idea ....

Well I have taken the brass fittings back, PM'd Domonsura and now enjoying a nice chilled Chok's Amber Ale... ;-)I know no one has trashed my ideas and I'm really appreciative of the input!! Thanks guys, truly!!!!!Yeah Barramundi the fermentor has a threaded tap socket which is 3/4". Hopefully I can work with Domonsura and get a fitting made up that can be added to any fermentor, I would think that I'm not the only one whom would want a STAINLESS, NOT Brass bulkhead and tap fitting for their fermentors... ;-)Oh and if anyone was wondering...I have a Cooper's plastic fermentor.Oh also, I wasn't worried about the fact that I could get possibly poisoned but more that the beer could get funky tastes!!!! LOL

i'm still at a loss as to why you'd have freaky big taps on your fermenter instead of the normal plastic taps??

i've obviously missed something here...

Has Domonsura indicated whether the stainless stuff is available from him in 3/4 BSP size as well as 1/2"?
3/4 is a great size, apart from fermenter threads it also fits the garden hose connecters, which is very handy for attaching hoses etc.

Sammus
Re: beer pH, I am fairly sure (as in read on several occasions) that MASH pH is/should be between 5.2 and 5.5, rather than actual beer. After the boil, the wort will be at around 5.0 or so, and post fermentation, the beer is usually between 4.2 and 4.4pH. If you are looking at the amazingly tasty sour styles, I have a feeling they can get down as low as 3.1pH, but dont quote me. Ya can quote me on "amazingly tasty", just not on the pH numbers!
Maltaddict, I think that you made a very smart decision in getting away from a brass tap, but I am with tangent - why would you want a fancy tap on a plastic fermenter? If you like your bling, put $15 or so per week into an envelope under your matress :eek: and this time next year, you should have enough for a full stainless conical. Much more impressive, IMHO. Hell, maybe Domonsura could whip you up one of them for a good price.
All the best
Trent

Blackbock: Domonsura is going to get back to me on Mondy re: 3/4" pricing. In the meantime I am going to take all the required measurements.Tangent: It's not a matter of using big arse taps(mind you it is a personal preference somewhat) but more keeping all the parts in the same thread size. The only reduction in size I really want is from tap to liquid outlet. Plus having 3/4" all the way to the last point of the outlet will ensure limited flow restriction, not to mention my point in keeping the same thread size throughout.Trent: I hope to have a commercial brewery in the very near future and I am waiting both for: time(sorry, can't disclose any further) and the proceeds from current and future sales(again can't disclose any further) to come through, happin. So basicly at the moment I put all this up to R & D(Research and Development)

Maltaddict
Fair enough that you cant disclose anything further. All the best with your venture, I hope that it gets off the ground sooner rather than later, the more micro's in this country the better.
Trent

i'm still at a loss as to why you'd have freaky big taps on your fermenter instead of the normal plastic taps??

i've obviously missed something here...

I've gone down the path of modding my fermenter taps too (ALA the Pumpy no fuss gravity feed filtering) with 1/4" bore SS valves up to the 3/4" via an adaptor. Kook made a valid point that any dry hopping with flowers may be an issue with such a small bore size so 3/4" would certainly help in that regard. (I'll stick to dry hopping in the keg for the time being :) Cheers Doug

Maltaddict
Fair enough that you cant disclose anything further. All the best with your venture, I hope that it gets off the ground sooner rather than later, the more micro's in this country the better.
Trent

Cheers Trent!

Sammus
If you like your bling, put $15 or so per week into an envelope under your matress :eek: and this time next year, you should have enough for a full stainless conical. Much more impressive, IMHO. Hell, maybe Domonsura could whip you up one of them for a good price.
All the best
Trent

Would but I could, if I could I'd have one.......I don't have the right gear to roll conicals up yet. It's in the works, but not until I get the word to spend the $$$ on a decent roller.

Back when i did bulk K+K i used brass fittings on my 180litre fermenter taps... I never noticed anything funky happening to the brass.. as for the beer..it was K+K.. hard to say if it made it taste funny cause its usually already tastes funny... Although since then most of my teeth have fallen out and every once in a while my left eye wanders off and i uncontrolabley scream "Flugerwha!" Sqyre...

Sammus
Re: beer pH, I am fairly sure (as in read on several occasions) that MASH pH is/should be between 5.2 and 5.5, rather than actual beer. After the boil, the wort will be at around 5.0 or so, and post fermentation, the beer is usually between 4.2 and 4.4pH. If you are looking at the amazingly tasty sour styles, I have a feeling they can get down as low as 3.1pH, but dont quote me. Ya can quote me on "amazingly tasty", just not on the pH numbers!

Yeah I thought as much, it was a couple posts above mine that someone mentioned that beer is 5.2 ...didn't sound right :p

Back when i did bulk K+K i used brass fittings on my 180litre fermenter taps... I never noticed anything funky happening to the brass.. as for the beer..it was K+K.. hard to say if it made it taste funny cause its usually already tastes funny... Although since then most of my teeth have fallen out and every once in a while my left eye wanders off and i uncontrolabley scream "Flugerwha!" Sqyre...

funny emoticon.

If you can't find it, it's probably already been returned.

Try the 'Enter' key instead.

Latest posts

Back