My Mill - Wiring Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domfergo

Reaction score
Gday

Thought i would share some pictures of my mill setup. I have had it for a few years and cringe every time i use it because of the safety dangers that i have. I am in the process of solving these issues at the moment and step one involves doing something about the exposed 240v wiring on the back of it!

First a bit of a run down. Its a mash master monster mill driven by a 1 1/4hp washing machine motor. I gave the design to a mate of mine who builds big shed beams for a living to weld up for me. He got some steel laying around the yard to do it hence the heavy grade steel.(it will out last the apocalypse). The pulley is set up to run at 200rpm and is tightened with by screwing the bolts in on the mill. Works a treat!

Now to the wiring... I found a simple light switch that i think i can use but dont know what the terminals are and dont have a voltmeter. I am going to build a little mount on the back of the motor and enclose all the wiring. Can anyone help? Note that the pulley is the right size for the low speed hook up only. The points are labled "L" "C" "1"

I know the dangers of 240v wiring and the benefits of using an electrician.....

Cheers

Mass

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3]

Photo 4

edited as links did not work

That looks like it would be quite easy to sort.

I would do the following:
* mount a diecast jiffy box over the back of the motor, bolted to the back of the motor and the base.
* drill out a largish hole in the back of the box to run the cable through, and a cable gland (or if you want to get fancy install an IEC socket) for the power cord.
* the earth doesnt need to run all the way over there, you could (and should) earth it inside the box.

Would look nice and neat and tidy

excatly what i was thinking i just dont understand the labels on the switch to hook it up. i will earth it to the switch when i do it

sorry didnt quite read your post properly, I would like to move the mill away from the powerpoint to another postion where i would have to run power to it and and hence why i wouldl like to have a switch on the motor itself

Try your active to 'C' which is common and load onto '1' which I believe stands for one way switching. The 2 is for two way switching.

cut the brown wire (not the blue one it will explode). one side of the cut goes into "C" the other goes in "1". L stands for loop and is not connected internally to anything.

Thanks very much, will try it out tomorrow afternoon

C and 1 are the ones you want

C = common

1 is the off/normally open side of the switch

2 is the on/normally closed side of the switch

depending on how long it takes you to do your changes you should move your earth to the motor frame as soon as

possible.

ps just saw that your frame is all metal so not as worried as I was
pss and beaten by booargy

Remember to switch the active (Red or Brown) if you need to join the Neutral (Black or Blue) use the hole marked L or Loop
Light.jpg
Better still read this http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_110732/article.html
Mark

Back