My Hops Have Run Out Of String

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megs80

Reaction score
Hey all,
I've setup 4m strings for my hop bines to climb and now the first of them has reached the end. At the moment they are growing about 20cm per day so I'm wondering what to do. Should I let them just grow or should I trim at the top?

Cheers

I just let mine go, they wave about wildly in the air up to about 70cm then fall back on themselves and keep growing. I also have extra string lines at the top that are horizontal or on 45-degree angles etc and this works a bit...sometimes... a la goldings:

Goldings_screen_shot.jpg

I wouldn't stress - if you got 4m of height first they will be happy campers.

I have the same problem...it's a good one to have! I given up worrying about it for now, these plants are fairly tough. I like the idea of 45 string setup for them to lean on.

my trellis is about 3.6m high and 4m away from the house on the southern side, so I was able to run extra lines back to the eaves. They take a bit of encouragement to grow horizontally though.

hopz.jpg

Hey all,
I've setup 4m strings for my hop bines to climb and now the first of them has reached the end. At the moment they are growing about 20cm per day so I'm wondering what to do. Should I let them just grow or should I trim at the top?

Cheers

Let them be. My trellis is only 3m high and they hit the top of that weeks ago

This photo was taken 10 days ago and its still growing several cm per day. The bines at the top wind around themselves which gives them strength.

chinook1_06122011.jpg

Back