My High Tech Biab Setup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puffer555

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been deliberating on how to build my AG brewing setup for a while.
I have been tossing up between either a trad 3V or BIAB system.
Anyway, I think I have decided on the BIAB route.
This suits my situation better, ie space, time, etc.
It seems that there are few limitations with BIAB, and i should be able to brew practically anything.
Anyway, I can always upgrade later if I decide to go bigger.

I will start with a basic setup with:
60 L Al pot with SS bulkhead and tap
10 or 23 tip mongolian burner with LP reg
Swiss voile bag
false bottom

Anyway, the engineer in me wants to optimise, and automate as much as possible.
So my future plans are as follows:

I plan to use a gas solenoid valve for controlling the burner using a Tempmate temp controller.
Mongolian burners already come with a pilot valve so this should be easy enough.
I will also use a march pump for recirculation to ensure even temps throughout the mash.
Intake to the pump will be from below the false bottom in the heated section .
The temp probe for the tempmate will take the reading from this pump input stream.
This way, I should get no temp overshoot.
This is similar to how the Brutus 10 system works.
I also plan to incorporate a plate chiller.
To finish it off, a nice stand incorporating a jib arm for bag lifting.
I may even do away with the bag later and go with a false bottom pot.
ie. cut the bottom out of a pot and put in some perforated sheet metal false bottom.
This would all be very similar to the Braumeister that everyone keeps talking about.

If BIAB is as good as everyone says it is, then i may never need to go 3 V.
However, if I do decide to upgrade later, i will already have a lot of the gear.
I know that this is not neccesary for good beer however it I believe it helps with consistency.
It also satisfies my tech fetish.
Maybe I am over complicating things.

I have already considered double batches and cant see myself doing them so please dont ask.
I really need to stop procrastinating and get this built so I can brew some AG beer already.
Anyway, I need your opinions.

Cheers
Tim

Why complicate a simple process? In fact with what you are proposing your only 1 pot away from doing traditional styled brewing are you not?

reinventthe-wheel.png

Why not simply drop a pick-up tube over the edge of the pot if you are worried about drilling the pot. Gotta be easier than sewing up a bag?

BIAB_alternative.jpg

I think I may have confused some of you.
The pot in pot idea is just that, an idea (at this stage).
It emulates the Braumeister nicely.

Anyway, the main thing I wanted your opinion on was the automated temp control.
I see the ability to regulate strike/step/mash temp easily with little variance.
Otherwise, its apply some heat, stir, test, apply some heat, stir test etc, etc.
For a multistep mash this might get tiresome to hit the step temps spot on.
With this method, just key in the temp into the tempmate, and solenoid valve does it for you.
Just the same as a RIMS really, however its direct fired gas, not electric.
I suppose I could achieve the same thing with an electric RIMS setup.
Just gas allows you to get to your temps quicker

Anyway, lets get a few more opinions.

No, not confused at all. In fact I was thinking along simular lines not so long ago for a system to do half batch experimental brews. My point is that if you are going to take BIAB that far you may as well go the hog to a 2V or 3V RIMS/HERMS system. BIAB has got it's limitations and compromises but ultimately the choice is yours as to which direction you want to go. Read thru the BIAB thread, yes i know it's a gazillion pages long but you will find all of what you are proposing and even stuff you hadn't considered. If your serious about heading down that path then a few hours invested reading can only help.

Good Luck

Chappo

Sure do whatever you want.

Before you go to all the trouble why not see if BIAB is for you. Then if it does not work well you can add all the bells an such to a sound system if it suits you better.

Back