My Heat Controller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gava

I do rather like beer.....
Reaction score
Going over to a mates to brew who does the manual control his HERMS via the urn its in and a temp probe.
Thought I'd give him a present.

Whipped up a PID controller for him with our PID Programmable Controller and a panel mount quick disconnect Pt100 probe.

Its made with spare stuff I had floating about like the CPU heat sink which the SSR is connected to internally all sealed with silicone (150c)
probe mount has been silicone sealed also.

I didn't have a 220v switch to turn it on and off so I just have a 12vdc switch between the SSR and the PID to (turn off) the element if required for short term it also has the LED to show when the SSR isn't getting power (flashing in time with the PID out1 obviousy = working, not blink means no power to SSR) not the best way but used what I had and we're brewing thursday night..

gallery_9889_466_1646322.jpg

gallery_9889_466_2886447.jpg

Oh, He's brewing me some beer to :)

Cap said:
Nice one Gava. This is probably the next step for me with my herms too. Expect a call soon.
where's my call , you said you'd call.. you never called.. ^_^

I know where he lives so its all good, I've "borrowed" some grain off him in the past :)

Looking at doing some simple like this myself. Could you throw up a parts list mate?

x2 on the parts list please :)

I've been looking at different PIDs on evilBay, as well as other bits needed for a HLT/HERM setup (e.g. a coil inside the HLT using pumps to recirculate)

Hi Guys,

Was going to open it up and show the insides but the jiffy box I used is a cheapish one and there are two screw heads that are stripped so I couldn't easily do it.

So I'll just do a list of the bits

• Jiffy box (recommend getting a better one or use better screws)
  • Old Computer CPU heat sink (had laying about)
  • 1 x Quick Disconnect Pt100 temp probe, we sell them HERE
  • 1 x PID Controller (Recommend one that can switch a SSR directly) We sell them HERE
  • 1 x SSR (I've just used a cheap 25amp from ebay)
  • 1 x Extension cable (cut in half use an end for power in and element control)
  • 2 x cable glands, we sell them HERE
  • Some silicone seal (120c type) used to seal around heat sink and jiffy box and around the Pt100 quick disconnect connection on jiffy box
  • Switch + LED, I used this between the PID and the SSR as a easy way to Turn off the element.
  • Optional : Buzzer I didn't get to install this since it was a test box, we sell them 220v HERE and 12v HERE
  • Terminal strip
then just connect up as per instructions on the PID and standard 220v wiring.

cheers

Gavin

Hey Gava
How much all up do you think it cost to slap together the PID controller? Plus do you have most of these bits in your store?
Cheers and thanks for posting this mate.

brewtrekker said:
Hey Gava
How much all up do you think it cost to slap together the PID controller? Plus do you have most of these bits in your store?
Cheers and thanks for posting this mate.
Not sure about the cost, I just pulled out my spares box and found everything... oh apart from the probes and pids which I raided the store for :)

We have the probes in the store and PIDS.. got some new Probes in which have 20mm probes and 60mm...

I could check my spares box again and see if I have enough for another one if you'd like..

It'd be pretty cheap apart from the probes and PIDS...

Gav

Wow Gava I want your shop to just pull that together with spares. Yes I would be very interested in buying one from you along with the probe, does that fit the thermowell in your tank ? Plus how much did your mate charge for a element with a tri-clamp fitting ? Cheers
Paul

brewtrekker said:
Wow Gava I want your shop to just pull that together with spares. Yes I would be very interested in buying one from you along with the probe, does that fit the thermowell in your tank ? Plus how much did your mate charge for a element with a tri-clamp fitting ? Cheers
Paul
Haven't had a chance to look at that yet..
The way I mount my probes in my vessels is I use a tri-clover with a 1/2" thread...

gav

Hey Gava yeah my tanks already have a thermowell in them about 8 inchs up from the bottom. I just need a probe that fits as from what I read the thermowells work best with a heat tranfer paste filling up the dead space around the probe.

brewtrekker said:
Hey Gava yeah my tanks already have a thermowell in them about 8 inchs up from the bottom. I just need a probe that fits as from what I read the thermowells work best with a heat tranfer paste filling up the dead space around the probe.
I don't have a thermowell my probes go directly into the pot, they're liquid tight. They did come with temp probes with themowells which I calibrated due to the heat loss of the thermowell around 1 - 2c . Heat past would do the trick but my temperatures don't climb quick enough to warrant that. Also you'd want to make sure you have food grade paste just in case.

Gav

brewtrekker said:
Some people have used it in the past
really? oh wow.... I guess it's like people using car glycol instead of food grade, some people just don't think.

Haven't had a chance to check out the parts yet, my wife is ready to pop our 3rd child.. Thought we were on for last night but seems to be a false alarm..

You can purchase the one I've built already will have to work out a price, not sure what PID it has in it either, its one of ours but not sure if its a ramp/soak or just a normal one. I think it currently has a 60mm probe on it.. but we have 20mm / i think 1 40mm / and 60mm probes.

Cheers
Gavin

Back