my first

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezza79

Reaction score
i would just like to tell everybody that i am the proud new father of my very first infection!!!!
wow what a feeling.

BLEACH>>>>>>>BLEACH>>>>>>>>BLEACH!!!!!
DAMN IT!!!!!

25L of a perfectly run brew day dr smirto golden......not the cheapest hops around!

is bleach the key? everything is now soaking in it.

probably about my 200th beer so odds are not too bad.

anyway, had my cry

jezza79 said:

i would just like to tell everybody that i am the proud new father of my very first infection!!!!
wow what a feeling.

BLEACH>>>>>>>BLEACH>>>>>>>>BLEACH!!!!!
DAMN IT!!!!!

25L of a perfectly run brew day dr smirto golden......not the cheapest hops around!

is bleach the key? everything is now soaking in it.

probably about my 200th beer so odds are not too bad.

anyway, had my cry
I feel for you had my first a couple of mths back,smell bad & tasted worst coming out of the FV but I still bottled it.( thinking she'll be right mate ) theirs another hour out of my life wasted it got even uglier after a couple of weeks.BLEACH>>>>BLEACH>>>>BLEACH + SUN.1 of the boys at work had his first on the weekend,tasted all right out of the FV but 3 weeks later out of the bottle came out like syrup,i thinks it's called ROPE or something like that, no idea where or why this happens.We all know how to clean & sanitize.

yeah an hour not so bad.....i takes me 4! i didn't even get to the ferment stage, it got into the no chilled cube. i didnt let the hot wort sit in the handle..maby some of the reason, who knows.

:lol:

It's never a nice feeling. I haven't lost a batch to infection yet but I did get a mould in my first Helles batch a few months ago due to an infected yeast starter :( It only took a few hours for it to appear after pitching the yeast, however once I removed the offending mould, it cleared right up and there is nothing wrong with the beer. I thought I was going to have to tip it though and it was a pretty shit feeling to be honest.

I have heard it loves in a magical land called 'somewhere ******* else'

starsan/iodopher is all i use and no infections.only issue with bleach is the after smell..

I find iodophor tricky to dose ... gave up on it when I found it was tainting my beer,probably a few drops too many. Starsan is the way to go but alot more pricey.

Post infection its hard to remove traces of can cause a recurrence especially if you are fermenting in plastic. The only solution for me is a soak for a week in a concentrated solution of napisan, and I make sure the tap is disassembled and cleaned properly!

I've never had a problem with iodophor. 1mL per 1L you make up. I use a syringe to measure out the iodophor - easy.

jezza79 said:
yeah an hour not so bad.....i takes me 4! i didn't even get to the ferment stage, it got into the no chilled cube. i didnt let the hot wort sit in the handle..maby some of the reason, who knows.
I NC and used to turn my cube and get the hot wort touching all surfaces for my first few brews. I don't bother any more with that as i figure the temp of the little bit of air trapped inside gets up to same temp or at least very close to same temp as wort. My wort goes into cube straight after i turn off the kettle, just a fraz under 100degC. Just my process, i know it's not "best practice" but it suits me. If you can eliminate the chance that pasturization has not taken place, you can look elsewhere. Do you know what temp your wort was going into cube? You didn't leave a wet towel draped over cube?

Latest posts

Back