My First Partial Mash Wheat Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJB

Reaction score
Hi all,

i'm looking to do my first partial wheat beer and i'm wondering if anyone has tips or recipies that they can pass on to me?? i have some experience in mashing but not with wheat. just want to know if there is anything i should know before i start??

Cheers

JB

:beerbang:

Hey JB,

I've been making partials for a few years and found this wheat recipe works like a treat. Simple and excellent results :icon_cheers:

Malts
1kg Weyermann wheat malt (4.2 EBC)
1kg Weyermann Pilsner (3 EBC)

Extract
1.5kg Morgans wheat extract
0.5kg light dry malt extract

Hops
20g 8.1% Hallertau Aroma Hops (NZ) (60mins)

Yeast
Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan

Brew temp 18c = cloves flavour
21c = banana flavour

Brew 19-20c gives a nice balance of both clove and banana.

Hi all,

i'm looking to do my first partial wheat beer and i'm wondering if anyone has tips or recipies that they can pass on to me?? i have some experience in mashing but not with wheat. just want to know if there is anything i should know before i start??

Cheers

JB

:beerbang:

Not really much different to regular barley malt mashing. If you are using a false bottom or copper manifold and a large portion of wheat then rice hulls can help prevent a stuck sparge.

There's no husk in the wheat so you can crack finer. Proteins in the wheat may add to final haze in the end product.

There's various steps like a ferulic acid rest at around 42 (from memory - double check if interested in doing one) that will help push clove.

That's it really. For a good German style wheat make sure you use a good wheat yeast, bitter low and use noble hops.

Cheers guys, I'll be sure to let you know how it all goes.

Back