My First Mash Tun

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobH

Reaction score
My BIAB was a tad unweildy:
da_biab.jpg

So I was either going to go buy a proper bag, or make me a mash tun.
I was at my LHBS today and after a good hour (or so) chat I decided on the mash tun.

It don't have to cost heaps, and it don't have to be fancy... and here it is....
MashTun01.jpg
MashTun02.jpg
MashTun03.jpg
MashTun04.jpg

Just need to make sure my wife doesn't find out I chopped up her camping bed-roll :eek: ... it's ok, I'll buy her a new one :)

It shall still make good wort and fingers crossed some cracking beers! Nice one.

looks good, i have a round esky tun and during mash i chuck one of those big green garbage bags over it and then a blanket that i preheat in the oven. i get about half a degree drop over the hour. happy brewin. :icon_cheers:

pre heat a blanket in the oven? Lol what about a drier wouldnt it be safer?

lol! yeah if you had a drier I suppose it would be.

I just put the whole thing in a cardboard box...

MashBox.jpg

hmm now with mash-in at 10pm, I rekon after clean-up I might be in bed by ... oh about 2am ... hehehe I love this hobby

awesome rob good work :beer:

cheers matho

p.s. pat certainly is good for a chat :)

thanks mate!

I'm gonna freeze my ass of out there, but dammit! I am gonna make some beer! :lol:

... and yeah, Pat is a good bloke, I came home with a formula for efficiency & I could tell he knew I just hadn't quite cottoned on to what he was telling me... but with me it is not untill I have done it a few times and applied the formula ... and then all of a sudden a light goes "ding! " & I understand what it was he told me :p

hmm now with mash-in at 10pm, I rekon after clean-up I might be in bed by ... oh about 2am ... hehehe I love this hobby

Unless I fall alsleep in my chair & the first hops addition doesnt go in untit ten past two....... like as if that would happen!!! :p

Well after 2 weeks in the fermenter I filled up a 20L cube with hot water from the tap (approx 60c) and stuck it next to the fermenter with a sleeping bag over the top ... this was my attempt at a diacetyl rest as the ambient temp in my garage is around 10-12c ... then a week later (2 days ago on Sunday) I kegged this brew I did that fateful sleepy night ... snuck in a taste tonight... yum tasty!

I must have been out with the hop additions as the bitterness is not as much as I expected, but it is enough. It is the first time I have used Saflager W-34/70 lager yeast and I can really tell the difference in the results between it and the S-23... from this single experience I am thinking the W-34/70 is a much cleaner finish which seems to highlight the malt flavour a bit more.

Anyway, here is a summary of my recipe:
Goldings Pale Ale (4kg JW ale malt, POR bittered 35g@60, Goldings flavour/aroma'd 15g@10,5,& 0 ,Saflager W-34/70 lager yeast)

It is the first time I have used Saflager W-34/70 lager yeast and I can really tell the difference in the results between it and the S-23... from this single experience I am thinking the W-34/70 is a much cleaner finish which seems to highlight the malt flavour a bit more.
I've never had good experiences with S23 either. I'm not sure if it was just under pitching or what, but they always had a funny taste I didn't like. I think they simply didn't attenuate enough maybe.

My Oktoberfest lager I used 34/70 and Fk Me it tastes great, not a hint of the flavour I didn't like.

Latest posts

Back