My First Mash Tun

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I told the guys at Bunnings what I was building, they said it's fine to use tin/lead solder

You believe people that work at Bunnings? That's your answer :)

Would lead solder really be safe?

Ahh.. no. Use a lead free or better still, silver solder. No lead. You don't need to fully solder up the manifold, just enough to make it stay together. I have only soldered selective parts of mine so I can pull it apart when I want to and so that it doesn't come apart.

Cheers
Gavo.

seen one here somewhere with small punch indents on the joints, would make it easier to clean if needed.

Hey Aaron,

Cool, it sounds like you know more about this stuff than me, I just built my first copper manifold and after talking to people and doing a bit of reading I've been erring on the side of caution.

So here's a question for you, I told the guys at Bunnings what I was building, they said it's fine to use tin/lead solder ( it's all they had in stock ) I ended up passing on that on bought some lead free solder elsewhere. Would lead solder really be safe?

cheers

Joe

Hey Joe (I said where you going with that gun in your hand)

Hell no, good man on passing it up. Lead(or plumbum as i like to call it :) ) is daedly and will "replace" nesecary metals in your blood and brain and kidneys etc causing all sorts of trouble, even though lead is regarded as somewhat stable it has a habbit of reacting with water to form complexes(basically lead and "water" molecules holding hands) and become pretty soluble even in heavy water. If you're having trouble finding lead free solder then maybe try somehere like Reeces or some sort of plumber supplies. Lead was used for many years in pipes and in paints (lead poisoning is also known as painter's colac) but due to its toxicity this is no more (or at least sholdt be). Be very carefull and if ever your not sure on chemicalsm to use, wikipedia is a good resource or pm me I'm sure I'd be able to find it in one of my books. Hope this helps mate

Aaron

just a small addittion the word plumber actually somes from the old (roman i think) name for lead which is plumbum

Latest posts

Back