My First Hop Brew - Still Not Ready After 7 Days?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistylane

Reaction score
Doing a Kilkenny brew with:
Bacchus & Barley - Burton Ale
1Kg Light Malt Extract
Fuggles Pellets 20 x 20

In an inverted carboy - constant 21 to 22 degrees.

Reading is dropping about 1 point a day (currently 1016) - started off very high (1056??)

This is my first hops brew, so does this in any way affect the primary fermentation time?? I intend to bottle - one other question I have is that all of my beer is on the yeasty side of things - the hops seem to be reducing this but Iam wondering if leaving it in the primary a little longer may reduce this??

Yep. Leave it in primary for 10-14 days, then if you have another fermenter, rack the beer off the yeast into the second fermenter for another couple weeks before bottling. It will drop more crap in the secondary.

There is plenty of time, no need to rush the beer into the bottle. With some exceptions, of course.

Yep, agree with Pomo 100%.

Keep checking the sg, if it is the same over 2-3 days, you can bottle if you wish. It is better to leave the beer in primary for 10-14 days before thinking of bottling. Or, follow what Pomo said, after the beer has finished fermenting, rack to secondary for a few weeks, then bottle.

1.056 is a bit high for a standard kit and kilo. Did you make it up to 18 litres? This would increase the og. Or maybe the malt extracts were not uniformly distributed throughout the fermenter giving an incorrect high reading.

20 x 20 means 200 gms hops, which would be truely excessive.

Do you mean 20 gms plus 20 gms?

Beer tasting yeasty. You may be bottling too early and piming too much, giving rise to excessive yeast in the bottle which churns with the excessive carbonation when you open the bottle. This means you end up with suspended yeast in the glass.

Left it in the fermenter 7 days past FG stabilisation - guess what - tastes great even out of primary!

No more bottling after 5 to 7 days for me!

PS. I'm now hooked on hops......

Back