My First IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomerJay

Reaction score
How will this recipe turn out? I brewed it 2 weeks ago and will bottle it tomorrow for at least 6 weeks of conditioning.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Safale US-5, pitched dry (11.5 grams)
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.068
Final Gravity: 1.012
ABV: 7.4%
IBU:
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 13 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 13 days @ 18C ambient
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 0
Mash Efficiency: 70%

GRAIN BILL:
71% Maris Otter (5kg)
14% Munich 20L (1kg)
7% Carapils (0.5kg)
7% Caramel (0.5kg)

60 minute mash @66.8C

HOPS: (pellets)
Simcoe 25gr @ 60 min
Simcoe 20gr @ 20 min
Citra 20gr @ 5 min
Williamette 20gr @ 5 min

DRY HOP (pellets)
Citra 25gr @day6 for 7 days
Williamette 25gr @day6 for 7 days

Added half a tablet of whirfloc @ 5 min.

Notes:
Only pitched 1 package of dry yeast (not even rehydrated), which according to later calculations should have been 1.3 packages of 11.5 grams. I was expected it to underattenuate. After 1 week I read SG1.020 and the FG turned out to be 1.012 two weeks later. What a beast of a yeast!

Any comments on the post and recipe are more than welcome. Quite new to brewing (this is the 5th batch) and completely new to the forum!

Cheers,

HomerJay

Last edited:
Personally my minimum dry hop for an IPA is at least double what you have. Otherwise looks pretty tasty.

you've got a bit of hop mater (durrr) that could be a gotcha, if you are kegging try to be as fastidious as you can in removing, otherwise your going to jam it up, and that will not be a good time. if it's in bottles your fine.

you've got a bit of hop mater (durrr) that could be a gotcha, if you are kegging try to be as fastidious as you can in removing, otherwise your going to jam it up, and that will not be a good time. if it's in bottles your fine.

I'm going to bottle it. The minister of finance doesn't allow me to invest in kegging just yet. :thumbsdown:

I was thinking of putting a stocking at the end of the hose when I transfer from FV to BB to catch any trub. Any experience in this?

I'm going to bottle it. The minister of finance doesn't allow me to invest in kegging just yet. :thumbsdown:

I was thinking of putting a stocking at the end of the hose when I transfer from FV to BB to catch any trub. Any experience in this?

re-elect i say ;)
j/k if it's in the bottle i wouldn't worry as you can decant in the bottle, obviously try and leave as much behind as you can when bottling.
but if you dunk that stocking in sanitizer, have at it, i dont bottle but when i do it's a ******* disaster so im not really an authority on that.

I've bottled much hoppier beers without any hop material making it in to the priming bucket, should be right but your plan sounds fine with the sock, just try to minimise any aeration! I can't believe it fermented out with a single dry packet of US-05, if it was me pitching I would have had to of pitched probably three packets rehydrated and even then it would underattenuate (I'm cursed by the unfermentable gods)!

Recipe looks pretty good though, should be quite a nice spring ale, does seem like more of an APA than an IPA though..?? I share your pain with the kegging situation, I have to lay low for a while! Welcome aboard by the way!

I've bottled much hoppier beers without any hop material making it in to the priming bucket, should be right but your plan sounds fine with the sock, just try to minimise any aeration! I can't believe it fermented out with a single dry packet of US-05, if it was me pitching I would have had to of pitched probably three packets rehydrated and even then it would underattenuate (I'm cursed by the unfermentable gods)!

Recipe looks pretty good though, should be quite a nice spring ale, does seem like more of an APA than an IPA though..?? I share your pain with the kegging situation, I have to lay low for a while! Welcome aboard by the way!
APA at 7.4% abv and 56 IBu?

APA at 7.4% abv and 56 IBu?
Yeah, not the ABV, was thinking more about the IBU but without knowing the styles off the top of my head I had to look it up and 56 is bang in the range for an IPA and an APA seems to top out around 45, for some reason I thought it was higher - I must be drinking too many IIPA's and underselling the IBU's!

I've just bottled a batch of APA after dry hopping with pellets in the primary. No issues at all, they had settled out into the trub nicely. I was just pretty steady moving the old girl around in case I stirred up the trub. As it was the yeast cake was fairly tight packed after 2 weeks ferment. I'm also pretty new to it all and find the intitial expense of setting up is going to cause me a few batches where I just have to make do with what I've got as far as kit goes. I will add to it as each batch dictates. Next purchases will be a secondary bucket fermenter, and a bloody auto siphon!

Grain bill looks sound.
Late additions & dry hop additions look very light on for an IPA. I would typically have at least double that amount of late hops (combo of 5mins or flameout + whirlpool) and the minimum I ever dry hop an IPA would be 120 grams.
I also would have personally pitched 2 re-hydrated packs of 05 or used liquid and done a decent starter.

I still think you will end up with a very nice beer, may just be lacking that "smack you in the face" hop explosion that many IPA's have

I used a stocking (after cooking the color out of it for a while) to filter the beer. It worked pretty good as there was some hop in it :)

And I think you guys are right, I probably should have used a bit more hops for the aroma part.
I did read somewhere about an average of 50 grams dry hop for an IPA batch of 5 gallons...

It's in the bottle now. Taste test was pretty awesome, with maybe a bit too much alcohol flavour and could have more aroma...

I guess it's a recipe in progress.

I will let you guys know how it tastes ones it is bottle conditioned and what my recipe changes will be for a second batch :cheers:

Latest posts

Back