My First Crack At A Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, wouldn't have thought it would have made a difference seeing that it all gets diluted down in the end. Thanks for the tip.

Cheers

It prolly doesn't make a difference with regards to the end product and the flavour/colour you want to extract. The tannins in the grain is what you don't want, and thin, too hot, and prolonged steeps can cause this, apparently. You only have one of those, so I wouldn't worry, I don't think the amount of grain you steeped was enough to be problematic

It prolly doesn't make a difference with regards to the end product and the flavour/colour you want to extract. The tannins in the grain is what you don't want, and thin, too hot, and prolonged steeps can cause this, apparently. You only have one of those, so I wouldn't worry, I don't think the amount of grain you steeped was enough to be problematic

I always found that tannins gave stout a bit more homebrew twang and that tart-bitterness (not in a good way).

Before I got better with concepts, I used to boil grain, and, although I turned out some good stouts, they wouldn't be a patch on what I was doing now. And I'm not saying that, just because I now AG - more the fact that getting better with what temps did, how long to mash, steeping and the like, I would have handled my extract brews a lot different, and would have had far better extract brews than I actually made.

Goomba

Some breweries (Guiness) will add a portion of beer that has been soured to get this (something like 2% I think). I get what I want in a Stout, I'm talkin Dry Stout here too, just so there's no confusion, from black malt & roast malt & flaked barley, sometimes even brown malt. I find the black malt gives me enough of the sharpness I need for me. Also no late hopping will help distinguish hop bitterness from grainy acrid sharpness. IMO anyway

Edit: I used to boil instead of steep also, bad habbit I learnt from poor text

Well I found out that it wasn't cracked grain, so you can still get colour from grain if it is uncracked, just bugger all flavour. I think I'll be getting my grain (milled) from craftbrewer next time. Chalk that one up as experience.

Probably best to put these posts in your other thread mate, they're not really related to stout brewing

sp0rk said:
Probably best to put these posts in your other thread mate, they're not really related to stout brewing
I think you missed the boat mate, by about 5 years.

Brewed this one a couple of weeks ago

1 can coopers stout
1 can coopers devils half ruby porter
1kg raw sugar
300 gram of rolled oats steeped in 5 ltrs of just boiled water for 30 minutes
Added both cans and raw sugar into the fermenter
Strained the oats into the fermenter
Make up to 23ltrs

Add yeast from both cans and fitted a blow off tube
Fermented at 20c for 10 days the racked into secondary for 7 days and kegged
Carbonated at 100kpa for a week

Drinking it now YUM As good a stout as you can find