My First Ag

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darrell.wallace

Reaction score
I have just completed my first AG.

I pitched the yeast 10 minutes ago in an ESB. I am very happy with how things went in general, i achieved about 60 - 65% efficiency which i feel is great for my first AG.

The day didnt start as i had planned. My drill decided to pack it in after about 500grams of grain so i then had to hand mill the other 5.5 KG.

My chiller plate clogged as i started and i had to back flush to clear it, but it flowed very smoothly after that and i ended up with just short of the 25L that i was aiming for.

I was a bit worried yesterday about how things would go, but i am now confident that i will be able to produce some great beer as i gain more experience.

Thanks to the people that offered help and support during the set up of my gear. i feel that you have helped me a lot.

I now cant wait for the tasting in a couple of weeks and then the next brew.

:D :D :D :D

:D
Well done the taste of your firs AG is something to remember.
Cheers Altstart

Sounds like a picnic compared to mine and some other first AG's that I've read about. Brew on !

Congratulations on your first AG it can only get better from here

Congrats on your 1st AG, I'm very very jealous! Hopefully it will be me making a post like this soon.

Cheers

Well done. The first of many on your own gear. Did you hit your strike temp? Have you started trying the sg samples yet?

HKS, Port Stephens is not far from Newcastle and there are many fine AG'ers there. You may be able to sit in on a brew day which does make things easier. Otherwise just get out there and do it.

Well done. The first of many on your own gear. Did you hit your strike temp? Have you started trying the sg samples yet?

I dont think i pre heated my mash tun enough prior to mash in, so had to add more volume of water to get to my mash temp of 65. The rest went pretty smoothly, grain bed formed and worked well, during sparge as well, my pre boil gravity was 1040 and my post boil was 1052.

I tasted post boil (after chiiling) and found the taste quite good for an unfermented wort.

I guess the thing that i liked the most out of the day yesterday was the smells around my garage all day. first the smell of the cracked grains and then after mash, boil and hop additions. This has been one of the most satisfying things i have done in a long time.

Am now waiting on a bulk grain order to come in through our local brew club so i can go around again.

Back