My First Ag Won't Stop Bubbling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malbur

Reaction score
For my first AG (BIAB) i did AndrewQLD's Coopers Pail Ale clone from the recipeDB.
the whole process went really well, chilled down to 24 deg with a wort chiller, drained to fermenter 22L at 1.047, my efficiency was down a bit. Pitched recaltured Coopers Yeast.
Kept at 18 deg for 7 days, racked to secondary for 7 days at 18 deg, took reading 1.008, and what was in the tube tasted and smelt pritty good to me. But it's still bubbling, and that was 2 days ago.
What should i do, should i let it finish by it's self or throw it in the fridge and drop it down to 4 deg to stop it?
The main reason i want it to finish by it's self is that i don't have kegs, so i bottle all my brew, and i don't won't bottle bombs going off in my shed.

Mal.

1008 is about right for coopers yeast depending on mash temp.
Dont take notice of the airlock, they can bubble due to difference in air and fermenter temperature.

Hehe, yeah I've heard that coopers yeast is not too fussy!
Also, when you start AG you can get a lot more fermentable wort than you are used to with extract; until you get a handle on temperature control in your mash.

I agree with you - let it finish.

he he.. this happened to my first AG brew too.
but it was infected :(

If you are used to extract or kit brews, then I found that the AG ones ferment out quicker and to a lower FG than extract.

Infected is the new black.

It's very trendy to be brewing with brett or lacto these days. :D

(Yeah, an ongoing fermentation can be a sign of infection, but all the more reason not to bottle yet.)

as has been stated, don't trust the airlock. Take another grav reading, and if it's still 1008 after 2 days, you should be good to go....if it's dropped, it's still working, leave it to finish. There are quite a number of reasons why the airlock will continue to bubble even though fermentation may be finished.

Thanks Guys,
I will take a reading when i get home.

as has been stated, don't trust the airlock. Take another grav reading, and if it's still 1008 after 2 days, you should be good to go....if it's dropped, it's still working, leave it to finish. There are quite a number of reasons why the airlock will continue to bubble even though fermentation may be finished.

+2 for consistent hydrometer/refractometer readings over 2 to 3 days.

RDWHAHB

Have Patients young padawan. Just let it ferment out and enjoy

Back