My Big W Pots are stuck together!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lobedogg

Reaction score
Picked up a couple of the 19Ls from Big Dubs on Saturday. One was packed inside the other. This is how I took it to the register and took them home.

Went to use one last night as I wanted to make my virgin keg brew and I'll be damned if I could separate them! I tried hot water in the sink and ice water in the top one to see if they would expand/contract but no dice. Also tried a heap of WD40 and elbow grease to no avail either.

Luckily, I kept my receipt so will head back tonight to try and get a couple of replacements. Hopefully they have a couple left.

Anyone had this happen before or got any bright ideas?

Well I've got two of the bigw19ljobbies, and they do occasionally get stuck.

But usually it's not too much effort to get them apart. Although I do believe it's a situation where four hands does a much better job of directing the forces in the right direction - can I assume you've asked another person to help? Two knees don't do quite as good a job.

Good luck!

Couple of bright ideas for you lobedogg:

- drill a hole in the bottom of one of them and try pulling them apart.
- take them up on the roof. Tie one of them to something heavy and the other one to something solid on the roof. Throw the heavy thing off the roof. This might work better once you've drilled a hole in the bottom of one of them.
- horses. Tie one to one horse, and the other to another horse. Make sure the horses are facing away from each other and give each horse a bit of a giddy up. Important that you giddyup both horses at the same time (www.doublegiddyplansDIY.com). This might also work better once you've drilled a hole in the bottom of one of them (the pots not the horses).
- more horses, but I don't have plans for a quad giddy, so the best I can suggest is that you put feed in the four corners of the paddock, and don't hook the horses up until they're hungry.
- cars. Same as the horses, but you need two drivers and a method of communication. And it'll probably work better if you drill a hole in the bottom of one of them.
- tug of war. Take them to your local school carnival. Hole in the bottom of one of the pots for under 12s, otherwise no hole unless absolutely necessary.
- joists, tree branches or something overhead. Hang one pot overhead using both handles. Not too high so that you can't touch the floor when you hang on the bottom one. Then hang on the bottom one.
- what Drew said.

Yes, I've had this problem and it's mighty frustrating.

Cheers.

Drew said:
Well I've got two of the bigw19ljobbies, and they do occasionally get stuck.

But usually it's not too much effort to get them apart. Although I do believe it's a situation where four hands does a much better job of directing the forces in the right direction - can I assume you've asked another person to help? Two knees don't do quite as good a job.

Good luck!
Cheers Drew, no I tried on my own only. My wife was asleep and she's heavily pregnant so probably not the best idea anyway. I'll ask my neighbour to give me a hand (or two) before I jump back in the car to Big W.

AntonW said:
Couple of bright ideas for you lobedogg:

- drill a hole in the bottom of one of them and try pulling them apart.
- take them up on the roof. Tie one of them to something heavy and the other one to something solid on the roof. Throw the heavy thing off the roof. This might work better once you've drilled a hole in the bottom of one of them.
- horses. Tie one to one horse, and the other to another horse. Make sure the horses are facing away from each other and give each horse a bit of a giddy up. Important that you giddyup both horses at the same time (www.doublegiddyplansDIY.com). This might also work better once you've drilled a hole in the bottom of one of them (the pots not the horses).
- more horses, but I don't have plans for a quad giddy, so the best I can suggest is that you put feed in the four corners of the paddock, and don't hook the horses up until they're hungry.
- cars. Same as the horses, but you need two drivers and a method of communication. And it'll probably work better if you drill a hole in the bottom of one of them.
- tug of war. Take them to your local school carnival. Hole in the bottom of one of the pots for under 12s, otherwise no hole unless absolutely necessary.
- joists, tree branches or something overhead. Hang one pot overhead using both handles. Not too high so that you can't touch the floor when you hang on the bottom one. Then hang on the bottom one.
- what Drew said.

Yes, I've had this problem and it's mighty frustrating.

Cheers.
Thanks for the laugh Anton!

1. Leave then as they are and use exclusively to brew Two Dogs ale.

2. If you must separate, throw a bucket of water over the bitch.

Hey I had this too, but luckily I discovered it whilst still in the shop as I only wanted to buy one. I ended up just picking up a single one, but some had about 6 or 7 stuck together.

They work well, but i'm still a tad nervous about the handle strength. Not keen to move a full pot of hot wort if I can avoid it.

tap the lip of the outer one, down on the edge of the table, positioned so momentum kicks the inner out. As many little taps as required, shouldnt take much effort.

two persons. one hold each set of handles. Twist pots in opposite directions. done.

Update: Tried a bit of all of the above really. Thanks for the input all. Got a bit of movement but one of the handles ended up coming off. So I decided to go back to BIg W to change them over before I did any more damage, but forgot they closed at 6. Missed them by five mins! Grrrr.

Poked my head into Kmart who were still open and noticed the had 27l eskies on special for $25. Had been keeping my eye out for a cheap one around that size for mashing so I grabbed one of them which meant the trip wasn't such a waste of time after all!

I'll head back tomorrow to Big W and hopefully get the pots swapped over.

Waratah67 said:
They work well, but i'm still a tad nervous about the handle strength. Not keen to move a full pot of hot wort if I can avoid it.
yep i would never move one full of hot liquid. the handles are shite

I've moved countless pots of boiling wort, carefully I admit, but the ones I've owned have never developed issues with the handles

hotmelt said:
WD40?
Or clamp upside down on rim or handles and knock top one up with wood or hammer.
Tried WD40 as per original post. No clamps on hand and too late now anyway.

missed opportunity for greatness.. I was hoping to hear something like..

Dude, gotta get these pots apart

You get the 4WD, I'll rig this pulley up and well hook it up with this ere jack chain

Sweet, meet you at the tree..

... car revves up and takes off, the jack chain goes taught , SNAP!! ... Rips rear bumper off car..

Then we returned the pots broken men but impressed with the sturdiness of these pots

:lol: :p :lol:

Latest posts

Back