My 1st Ag Stout..recipe Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikem108

Reaction score
Am trying my first AG Stout is this too hoppy?,

Mikes Stout

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
16-A Stout, Dry Stout

Min OG: 1.035 Max OG: 1.050
Min IBU: 30 Max IBU: 50
Min Clr: 35 Max Clr: 90 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
Batch Size (L): 20.00 Wort Size (L): 20.00
Total Grain (kg): 4.21
Anticipated OG: 1.042 Plato: 10.39
Anticipated SRM: 35.4
Anticipated IBU: 41.5
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 23.53 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.035 SG 8.88 Plato

Formulas Used
Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name
83.2 3.50 kg. JWM Traditional Ale Malt
8.4 0.35 kg. Roasted Barley
4.8 0.20 kg. Flaked Barley America
2.4 0.10 kg. Black Patent Malt
1.3 0.05 kg. Chocolate Malt

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
25.00 g. Northdown Pellet 7.20 29.6 60 min
20.00 g. Northdown Pellet 7.20 8.0 20 min
20.00 g. Northdown Pellet 7.20 3.9 1 min
35.00 g. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 5.20 0.0 0 min

Yeast
White Labs WLP004 Irish Stout-Guinness

Water Profile
Profile: Dublin
Profile known for: Dk Lager, Dry Stout
Calcium(Ca): 118.0 ppm
Magnesium(Mg): 4.0 ppm
Sodium(Na): 12.0 ppm
Sulfate(SO4): 54.0 ppm
Chloride(Cl): 19.0 ppm
biCarbonate(HCO3): 319.0 ppm
pH: 8.33

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Single Step
Grain kg: 4.21
Water Qts: 13.51 Before Additional Infusions
Water L: 12.78 Before Additional Infusions
L Water Per kg Grain: 3.04 Before Additional Infusions

Rest Temp Time
Saccharification Rest: 68 60 Min
Mash-out Rest: 0 0 Min
Sparge: 80 30 Min

Total Mash Volume L: 15.59 - Dough-In Infusion Only
All temperature measurements are degrees Celsius.

Look forward to discussing how you went next week at our meet Mike.

Cant offer any advice but I wish you the best of luck!

It looks like it will be pretty hoppy! too hoppy is a matter of opinion. i love hops so i would probably say no its not too hoppy, but im sure others may argue and it may be a bit out of style.

I noticed there are alot of 'black' malts in their but no really malty malts. I usually use only 1 really dark malt and then malts like pale choc and crystal to get rich malt flavours aswell as darkness and coffee flavour.

It looks like a good Robust Porter recipe! :ph34r:
If you're after a more traditional dry Irish Stout, I'd drop the black patent and choc malt. I've had very good success with just ale malt and roasted barley - the flaked barley is nice but that's more of a personal preference.
Re the hop schedule, I normally make one big bittering addition and that's it - I want the grains to do the talking and have the hop bitterness there to merely provide balance. Obviously you like your stouts to have plenty of hop flavour and aroma, which whilst not strictly speaking is slavishly true to style, by all means give it a go and see if it's enjoyable on your palate.
350g of Roasted Barley is a lot of dark, acidic grains in the brew - you might want to consider dropping it back to 250g and upping the base malt by another half kilo.
Have fun!
Cheers,
TL

tonys fav dry stout recipe.

75% ale malt (Vienna or light munich if you want it a bit richer)
10% roast barley
10% flaked barley
5% crystal.

Hop at 60 min and throw in 1/2g per liter at 10 min for a bit of complexity.

cheers

Thanks for the info, I will take the advice on board, adjust my recipe and back off the hops. Been having to work on saturdays during july which has eaten into my brewing time, so I am absolutely hanging to get into some brewing tomorrow.

PS. See you at the Nags's Head tonight

Well it MOST definatly is NOT a Poter recipie...It has Roast Barley in it... ;)

If you Hop it to 41 IBU at the first addition with Northdown and Goldings and dont add any other hop additions you will end up with a very nice stout

There is nothing wrong with Choc and Black malts in stout.... :beerbang:

Just remember that stouts generaly are BITTER not HOPPY...( unless you are a yank....cause only they would dry hop a stout and call it authentic... :angry: )

im with you stu....... you spoke my mind!!!

porter should not have raost barley in it IMO.

Stouts should !!! and a bit od choc or black malt for complexity if you choose.

and those yanks...... hey lets use a KG of cascade in a dark ale and call it a stout.

Ahhhhhhhhh dodge the bullets but the yanks kill a lot of good styles with cascade and the like.

But there is a BJCP catagory called american stout!!! mmmmm. how long till there is an american belgian tripple or american flanders red!!!

mmmmm a belgian dark ale hopped with 2 KG of cascade.

not!

cheers

PS.... fire away cascade fans. I bought 500g of them 2 years ago and threw 300 of them out a month ago.

cheers

IMHO it's a matter of malt, body, hop balance. If you mash high then the ferm will finish high and you can get away with high BU. For low bodied stout then lower the BU. Was given a recipe lately for a great dry stout, which does not require much bittering because of its low finishing gravity.

and what was tidal petes recipe mate :)

cheers

just referring to the dry finish, does anyone use US56 in their stouts?

Well it MOST definatly is NOT a Poter recipie...It has Roast Barley in it... ;)

If you Hop it to 41 IBU at the first addition with Northdown and Goldings and dont add any other hop additions you will end up with a very nice stout

There is nothing wrong with Choc and Black malts in stout....Just remember that stouts generaly are BITTER not HOPPY...( unless you are a yank....cause only they would dry hop a stout and call it authentic... :angry: )

Stu & Tony....I agree with you! There is nothing wrong with Choc and Patent in stouts - hell, I'll add 300g of Thomas Fawcett crystal if the urge takes me!! :ph34r: What I was trying to do was indicate what's typically closer to style - and that's base malt and roasted barley for colour and grain bitterness - from there, you can build up all sorts of concoctions, including those highly hopped stouts that some brewers love to drink.

And yes, Tony, porters shouldn't have roast barley in them - I use choc and black malt - which lead me to my original conclusion that the recipe is looking more like a porter than a stout. Actually the grain bill is sitting midway between a stout and porter.....a STOUTER?! :p

Screwtop also made a very valid point re mash temp and bittering - if you can control your mashtemps, then adjusting the bittering levels accordingly will result in a more finely crafted beer. I generally plump for 66C but next time I'll do a cooler mash for the dry stout and adjust the hopping rates accordingly...

just referring to the dry finish, does anyone use US56 in their stouts?
I've used 1056 and US-56 and had dry stouts as a result, but I honestly think it makes too clean a ferment and I much prefer the Wyeast 1028 London Ale strain to give a nice minerally note to the stout. S-04 is fine as well, but it won't give as dry a result as US56. I also typically add some Gypsum to the mashtun to try to give the clear and relatively low mineral Canberra water a bit of help, too!
Cheers,
TL

Well this one is down and fermenting nicely with US56 as I couldn't get the WLP004. I did reduce the Roasted BArley by 100gms and replaced it with 100gms of Demerarra Sugar (already had the grains weighed out and was too lazy to unpack the base malt again). Hit about 66.5 at mash in adjusted up to about 67.5 after 1/2 hour then held for another 1.5hrs

1st Hop addition was 25gms Northdown 60mins
2nd 20 gms Northdown at 30 mins

There was no noticable hop aroma coming from the beer after the boil.

Made mineral adjustments to Sydney water, BiCarb and Gypsum added.

I really like the Coopers Dark Ale(perhaps a "a STOUTER?!") so if this comes out anything like it I'll be happy.

No probs...and I'm writing to the BJCP re the new beer style!

BJCP Style 13 G. - Australian Stouter!
OG 1.050-75
FG 1.010-16
ABV% 4.4-8.55
IBU 25-45
Colour SRM 20-40+

:p :beer:
Cheers,
TL

No probs...and I'm writing to the BJCP re the new beer style!

BJCP Style 13 G. - Australian Stouter!
OG 1.050-75
FG 1.010-16
ABV% 4.4-8.55
IBU 25-45
Colour SRM 20-40+

:p :beer:
Cheers,
TL

Australian stout fits pretty comfortably in the F.E.S catergory, BJCP actually lists coopers and similar stouts as classic examples of a FES. The southwark one would fit in there aswell as would most stouts brewed here by the big breweries.

F.E.S
OG 1.056-1.075
FG 1.010-1.018
IBU 30-70
SRM 30-40+
ABV 5.5-8

That pretty much covers what you have there. If you want to have a australian style stout judged in a beer comp wack it in as a F.E.S.
The recipe in this thread would still be more irish dry stout though.

Cheers
Jayse

Latest posts

Back