Murrays Brewers Secret Stash - Wild Thing!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick_wilko

Reaction score
The first installment of the Murrays Brewers Secret Stash looks tasty!

Anyone know what sort of distribution this range is going to get?

I was a bit too keen!

Ordered a cube direct from Murrays 10 minutes after reading about it! :ph34r:

Ok I actually read the email a bit more thoroughly (must've been too excited to really take in the details before)

Only available online or at port stephens

The first installment of the Murrays Brewers Secret Stash looks tasty!

Anyone know what sort of distribution this range is going to get?

Looks like you can only grab a cube online or direct from their new premises. :( only 1100 bottles. Oh well

Looks like you can only grab a cube online or direct from their new premises. :( only 1100 bottles. Oh well
Only 1100 bottles!? Oh, damn...ummm I feel a bit bad now for buying a whole cube.

If I do manage to get some, I'm willing to swap for beer(s) of similiar worth.
PM me if you're interested...I don't like be a greedy beer whore!

I'm going for a little drive tomorrow, I reckon.
Just 20 min from my door to Murray's.
Happy to be a beer hog, as I tasted this superb morsel on the weekend at Bitter and Twisted.

Oh, and I heard that there was only about 1000 bottles. Maybe there's 100 for promotions, e.g. last weekend.

...I don't like be a greedy beer whore!

I love it when you talk dirty Muggus.

So for us great unwashed, what are you giuys talking about. What's the source ! What is this Murrays Stash ?

I love it when you talk dirty Muggus.

So for us great unwashed, what are you giuys talking about. What's the source ! What is this Murrays Stash ?

Introducing Brewer's Secret Stash!

November 2008
What kind of beer would a brewer brew if a brewer was brewing for brewers?

No fanfare, no sports sponsorships, no fancy labels, and definitely no lemons . . . just great Australian craft beer. The kind of beer brewers brew for themselves and others with the same, unrelenting passion for flavour.

Introducing Murray's 'Brewer's Secret Stash' extreme beer range. The essence of what Murray's is all about beers we love to drink, beers that push boundaries, beers that pack a flavour punch and wake-up the mouth.

Our first release Murray's 'Wild Thing' Imperial Stout - is out today. Only 1100 bottles. Only available at Port Stephens Winery (the future new home of Murray's Craft Brewing Co) or online at murraysbrewingco.com.au

"Wild Thing" Imperial Stout. ABV 10%. OG 1,100.

Inspired by the great stouts favoured by Russian Imperial Court, Murray's "Wild Thing" Imperial Stout is a beer fit for a Czar. A massive, intense drinking experience. The colour is black. Totally black. The heart of darkness. Impossible to see through even when held up to the light nothing insipid about this beer. Aromas of strong dark chocolate, a little fruitiness from the hops and yeast and some rumminess from the alcohol. The flavour is an intense hit of mocha bitter dark chocolate bordering on coffee. Some malt sweetness but an aggressive hop bitterness and roast grain bite to balance. And then there's the mouthfeel Full bodied is an understatement. Massive mouthfillling malt that almost overwhelms, before the freight train of the bitterness from the hops and the roast acidity kicks in to clean up the palate. A tiny batch of a huge beer only 1100 bottles brewed. A beer to savour if you dare!

I tasted this bad boy on the weekend (thanks shawn). Very very good. I'll be heading to the soon to be brewery this weekend to pick up a cube. Can't wait...

Thanks fellas. It was great to take a carton along to the bitter and twisted festival on the weekend to get some feedback on the beer before today's release. I'm really happy with it, especially how well it's drinking given how young it is. It is a very limited release, partly because in a brewery our size we can only brew a small batch of a beer this big, but also because it is not going to appeal to everyone - it isn't intended to! We'll be doing some small batches of beers like this that we're keen to experiment with over the next year. Thanks for the support. If you guys don't buy it, I can't brew it! ;) And yes, summer is a bad time to be releasing an Imperial Stout... in theory... I mean, is there any bad time to drink an imperial stout? :lol:

Shawn.

A remarkable beer..I really cannot say much more.
I drove me to an overwhelming overconsumption of Guetamalean Insanity Beans.
Both experiences were mindblowing.
Bitter and Twisted..you did it again..

K

Ok..... 3 pints of homebrew and the above reviews have coerced me into handing over the plastic to purchase a cube. I can't wait to try the latest instalment in a range of beers from perhaps the finest brewery in Australia. Bring it on!! :icon_drool2:

I'll be drinking some immediately, and cellaring the rest, alongside the Murray's Porter.

Cheers - Snow

Truly a superb stout!
Shawn did the black grain fraction reach 20%

B&T lived up to the expectations, some fantastic beer, great to see so many familiar faces, not least the inimitable Dr K

Les if you are going to the winery, grab me a case will you. He only made 400 litres; I dont think it will last until the weekend.

Cheers all
Mark

Thanks fellas. It was great to take a carton along to the bitter and twisted festival on the weekend to get some feedback on the beer before today's release. I'm really happy with it, especially how well it's drinking given how young it is. It is a very limited release, partly because in a brewery our size we can only brew a small batch of a beer this big, but also because it is not going to appeal to everyone - it isn't intended to! We'll be doing some small batches of beers like this that we're keen to experiment with over the next year. Thanks for the support. If you guys don't buy it, I can't brew it! ;) And yes, summer is a bad time to be releasing an Imperial Stout... in theory... I mean, is there any bad time to drink an imperial stout? :lol:

Shawn.

I am afraid that I keep making Shawn blush - and I am going to do it again.

This is the finest beer that I have tasted ! It is very similar to the great RIS's that I tasted in the US, but without the massive 'in your face' hops.

It is a world class beer made in a world class brewery by a world class brewer.

Keep em coming Shawn

Thanks,
Dave

I recall that I described it as a Beergasm, and paroxysmal.

Very drinkable, and scarily so.

I'm very glad to be one of the chosen few to taste it at B&T. I guess that Shawn has great respect for the Newcastle tastebuds cultivated by the BJCP course run by David (bigfridge).

Thanks Shawn and thanks Dave. :beer:

Bloody hell! :eek: Blushing indeed...

Thanks again fellas. I'll make sure Graeme Mahy who left us a month or two back gets to hear some of the feedback. I brewed the beer but he was still head brewer at the time of brewday and I have learnt a helluva lot from him.

I'm really happy with the beer and hope it is a success. If it sells OK then I'll get to do some more, and some more small batch 'specials'. I've got more than a few ideas... ;)

Thanks again,

Shawn.

Cheers Shawn once again for the sample @ B&T and no there's never a bad time for a good IS :) .

I can't praise the Murrays crew enough for getting out there and distributing beers in Oz that perhaps may educate and provide new tasting experiences for those not familiar with these styles.

I feel a bit greedy just having purchased a carton of the IS, but keen to share a bottle or ten up this way.

I was lucky enough to try some on Saturday and boy did it blow my mind. so much flavour i could hardly taste the 2ipa that followed it.

hopefully there will be some left in a month when i get the chance to head up to Port Stephens... gonna make a special anniversary ale trip.

Still waiting for the website to get back to me on a price for the following:

2 x 4 pack Imperial Stout
1 x 4 pack Murays 2IPA
1 x 4 pack Extra Porter.

Would like to be able to share some of these with the Barossa Brewers Club.

Back