Murray's Angryman Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its very pale.

I got one a while back and liked it, but since I bought some more and some whale ale and this is what I got from both. Contacted by email and they didn't answer.

vzhsh2.jpg

I got one a while back and liked it, but since I bought some more and some whale ale and this is what I got from both. Contacted by email and they didn't answer.

vzhsh2.jpg

Nice head. :beerbang:

Couldn't get enough of the Angry Man at the Bitter and Twisted just gone. Complex and dry with lots of NZ (Montueka/Pacifica) fruit salad and tobacco.
Bought a case of it locally (First Choice I think) not long after and every one was an over-carbed gusher. A sad day.
Some isolated singles that I've picked up from bottle shops around town have been OK but gushers seem to be at least 2 to 1.
I still buy one every now and again just in case. Maybe it was the atmosphere or the company on the day.
Shawn is the best brewer I know and I visit the brewery every chance that I get but the only bottled products that I'll spend money on are their Grand Cru and Wild Thing
Just sayin'.

Harry

Couldn't get enough of the Angry Man at the Bitter and Twisted just gone. Complex and dry with lots of NZ (Montueka/Pacifica) fruit salad and tobacco.
Bought a case of it locally (First Choice I think) not long after and every one was an over-carbed gusher. A sad day.
Some isolated singles that I've picked up from bottle shops around town have been OK but gushers seem to be at least 2 to 1.
I still buy one every now and again just in case. Maybe it was the atmosphere or the company on the day.
Shawn is the best brewer I know and I visit the brewery every chance that I get but the only bottled products that I'll spend money on are their Grand Cru and Wild Thing
Just sayin'.

Harry

Let him know there might be issues with the beer. He may be unaware of any issues.

Just sayin'.

Harry

Like Harry I live locally but I have the advantage of knowing Shawn personally and have spent many a pleasant hour discussing his beers and how we could solve all the problems of the world :D

When you read back through the posts there are some bottles that are fine, and others that are not so. Problems include overgassed, poor flavour and aroma. I have had some myself (purchased at a high turnover outlet close to me here in lake Macquarie) and I have described it as 'fizzy and dumb' ie over carbed with the flavour and aroma dumbed down. The keg versions are always fine.

I can assure everyone that there has not been any recent change in the recipe or raw ingredients and the brewery is well aware that some batches suffered problems out in the distribution channels. If the problem had occurred in their brewery they would not have been released but as it occurred 'out of their hands' there is not much that they can do about it - the horse had bolted.

Corrective action has been taken so all new stock should be ok.

If you would like an independant assessment of what the beer is like, remember that Murrays Angry man was voted number 10 in the Critics Choice Top 100, with 7 other beers listed.

I am sure that if you contact the brewery by phone or email and describe your experience they will thank you for it.

HTH,
Dave

Negative, email sent 12/5/2012. <_<

Well they always answer my emails ..... :D

Have you tried re-sending the email or phoning ?

It depends on your motivation for wanting to contacting them. They already know that some batches have problems (someone has posted here that they discussed this with the owners daughter and received the same reply) and it is very easy for a large organisation to overlook an email occasionally.

But if you would like to receive a reply for your own personal benefit, it would seem worthwhile for you to try again.

G'day All,

First up, apologies for the carbonation problems we have had with a couple of batches bottled late December early January. The beer was fine at release but the prob developed in the bottle quite rapidly once out to market. We have bottled some beer offsite and it was the first few of these batches that were the problem - we have sorted it now and the recent batches of Pale and Whale bottled offsite (and onsite for that matter!) are fine. I have replaced beer where we have been able to and again I apologise that it happened at all.

Logman, if I missed your email I'm very sorry. I try really hard to respond directly to ALL correspondence good or bad but things do sometimes slip through the cracks. I looked back through my inbox and can't find a message that I think might be yours but, again, I may just be missing something. Please send it through again and I'll follow it up.

Our pale, draught and bottled is drinking really well at the moment and I'm really happy with both. Its hop/malt balance is where we want it to be and it has been really well received out there - we can't keep up with demand at the moment. That said, everyone's palate is different and if it is too hoppy/not hoppy enough/too malty/not malty enough etc for your personal preference then we brew a range of other beers that hopefully might suit you better - and if we don't I'm sure another brewery does! I hope you guys can forgive a problem batch and give us the opportunity to stand by our product. We are a small but really dedicated team and if we miss your email it is through a stuff up/being too busy on any given day rather than any decision to ignore or not respond.

Shawn

brewer @ murraysbrewingco dot com dot au

Hi Gough,

So is the angy man ale the same as the nirvana ale? The reason i ask is because I had the nirvan pale ale a few months ago (maybe a year actually) and it was really good. And then when at the bottle shop the other day i couldn't see it so i grabbed the angry man. I wouldn't have guessed that they were the same beer at all.

G'day All,

First up, apologies for the carbonation problems we have had with a couple of batches bottled late December early January. The beer was fine at release but the prob developed in the bottle quite rapidly once out to market. We have bottled some beer offsite and it was the first few of these batches that were the problem - we have sorted it now and the recent batches of Pale and Whale bottled offsite (and onsite for that matter!) are fine. I have replaced beer where we have been able to and again I apologise that it happened at all.

Logman, if I missed your email I'm very sorry. I try really hard to respond directly to ALL correspondence good or bad but things do sometimes slip through the cracks. I looked back through my inbox and can't find a message that I think might be yours but, again, I may just be missing something. Please send it through again and I'll follow it up.

Our pale, draught and bottled is drinking really well at the moment and I'm really happy with both. Its hop/malt balance is where we want it to be and it has been really well received out there - we can't keep up with demand at the moment. That said, everyone's palate is different and if it is too hoppy/not hoppy enough/too malty/not malty enough etc for your personal preference then we brew a range of other beers that hopefully might suit you better - and if we don't I'm sure another brewery does! I hope you guys can forgive a problem batch and give us the opportunity to stand by our product. We are a small but really dedicated team and if we miss your email it is through a stuff up/being too busy on any given day rather than any decision to ignore or not respond.

Shawn

brewer @ murraysbrewingco dot com dot au

Hi Shawn,

I sent it to the greatbeer address from the website. The beer was from Dan Murphy's at Coomera, Gold Coast. This opened at the start of the year approx so that coincides with the same time frame.

At least you know that us guys are familiar with the difficulties of making beer :p . It won't put me off buying it again, Angry Man is a great drop. Would like to know that they have replaced their stock though....

edit- Hmm maybe that is Oxenford and not Coomera - lol, I live within 2 km's of it.

Well they always answer my emails ..... :D

Have you tried re-sending the email or phoning ?

It depends on your motivation for wanting to contacting them. They already know that some batches have problems (someone has posted here that they discussed this with the owners daughter and received the same reply) and it is very easy for a large organisation to overlook an email occasionally.

But if you would like to receive a reply for your own personal benefit, it would seem worthwhile for you to try again.

That was me, i was lucky enough to have yarn with murrays daughter at Manly one time, where you will find some of the best beers in AUS on tap and in the bottle.

I have had the same problems with bottles from Dans and originally sent Shawn a email just politely describing my experience and received a very quick and helpful reply back.
Nothing but praise from me for Murrays for their beers and customer service.

The Nirvana Pale ale changed a couple of times during its life but underwent a major change just over 18 months or so ago. It went from 4.5%abv to 5%, we dropped the crystal malt from the grain bill completely, upped the overall IBU, significantly increased (50% more) the late/whirlpool additions and changed the mix of late hops. We probably should have changed the name then, but kept selling it as Nirvana Pale for the best part of 12 months from memory, before changing the branding to the current Angry Man. At the time of changing branding we didn't change the recipe and it has stayed the same to the current time.

Hope that clears that up. It is inevitable that people are going to prefer one beer over another - that's one of the reasons we brew so many different styles! FWIW the current version Angry Man Pale is my personal go to session beer in terms of our range at the moment... Although I do tend to change my mind at the drop of a hat. :rolleyes: Another of the reasons we brew so many different beers... Always chasing something new. Let me know if you have any probe direct and I'll see what I can do to sort things out. ANd hey, if you like something don't be afraid to let me know either! :) Watson and I are tarts for praise :p

Shawn.

The Nirvana Pale ale changed a couple of times during its life but underwent a major change just over 18 months or so ago. It went from 4.5%abv to 5%, we dropped the crystal malt from the grain bill completely, upped the overall IBU, significantly increased (50% more) the late/whirlpool additions and changed the mix of late hops. We probably should have changed the name then, but kept selling it as Nirvana Pale for the best part of 12 months from memory, before changing the branding to the current Angry Man. At the time of changing branding we didn't change the recipe and it has stayed the same to the current time.

Hope that clears that up. It is inevitable that people are going to prefer one beer over another - that's one of the reasons we brew so many different styles! FWIW the current version Angry Man Pale is my personal go to session beer in terms of our range at the moment... Although I do tend to change my mind at the drop of a hat. :rolleyes: Another of the reasons we brew so many different beers... Always chasing something new. Let me know if you have any probe direct and I'll see what I can do to sort things out. ANd hey, if you like something don't be afraid to let me know either! :) Watson and I are tarts for praise :p

Shawn.
Every single Murrays beer that I have ever had has been superb.

... can I have some free beer now :p

ANd hey, if you like something don't be afraid to let me know either! :) Watson and I are tarts for praise :p

Shawn.

Then please tell me how make something like Heart of Darkness :icon_drool2:
While your at it Spartacus too :lol:

Well done Shawn for responding to ahb

Shawn.

Back