Muntons Export Pilsener, Connoisseurs Range

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grinder

Reaction score
I am currently drinking one of the Muntons export pilsners, made from the kit. This is the first time I have tried this kit.
I have noticed an unusual toffee, caramel kind of after taste while drinking this brew. It is not a bad taste, just not a flavour that I would expect in a pilsener.

I mixed it up with 1 kg of DME and some saaz finishing hops. I fermented it in the fridge at 10 deg C for two weeks with a Saflager dried yeast. FG 1.010

I just want to know if anyone else has tried this Pils and if you have noticed these flavours?. Are they normal for this kit?

Cheers

Grinder, what you have described is the typical taste of Muntons malt. Some people like it, others don't. Personally I think it's out of place in a Lagerbier - the Poms might be good at drinking Lager, but they're crap at making it!

Grinder, what you have described is the typical taste of Muntons malt. Some people like it, others don't. Personally I think it's out of place in a Lagerbier - the Poms might be good at drinking Lager, but they're crap at making it!

I had the same feedback when brewed one.
I believed it was the 100g crystal at the time in my partial attempt.
I recall the brew being sweeter then norm.
My Old man said it had a caramel aftertaste.

did you do a diacetyl rest?

could also be from the malt extract. most stuff you buy has been mashed pretty high and as such doesnt ferment out that well. not a problem for ales, but when doing lagers and you end up with too much residual sweetness it can be.

I am currently drinking one of the Muntons export pilsners, made from the kit. This is the first time I have tried this kit.
I have noticed an unusual toffee, caramel kind of after taste while drinking this brew. It is not a bad taste, just not a flavour that I would expect in a pilsener.

I mixed it up with 1 kg of DME and some saaz finishing hops. I fermented it in the fridge at 10 deg C for two weeks with a Saflager dried yeast. FG 1.010

I just want to know if anyone else has tried this Pils and if you have noticed these flavours?. Are they normal for this kit?

Cheers

Most "traditionally" made pilsners use a decoction mash, which leads to a caramelisation of the grain, kinda like making crystal malt while doing the mash, therefore I'd be guessing that Muntons have tried to give you this effect in their kit. I appreciate a subtle caramel finish in a pilsner, but it depends on your tastes.
Keep an eye out for it in some commercial examples.
Q

well this would explain partially why my last muntons pils wasnt as clean as I expected (apasrt from the fact that I dont filter). Cant say that mine had an overly huge caramal taste/sweetness to it and my FG was higher than 1.010. But mine may taste differant as I lagered it and gave it a 3 diacetyl rest etc.

All I know is that I was happy with my pils for a straight K&K.

good to know for future referance though.

well this would explain partially why my last muntons pils wasnt as clean as I expected (apasrt from the fact that I dont filter). Cant say that mine had an overly huge caramal taste/sweetness to it and my FG was higher than 1.010. But mine may taste differant as I lagered it and gave it a 3 diacetyl rest etc.

All I know is that I was happy with my pils for a straight K&K.

good to know for future referance though.

Made a Muntons Blonde as per tin instructions just to see what they tasted like. Reckon the Blonde has a "funny" taste that probably sits within that sweet toffeeish description. Might add support to the Munton malt being a particular flavour (perhaps as Coopers kits malt all seem to have that unique Coopers twang). Either way, not keen to try Muntons again.

Either way, not keen to try Muntons again.
Dont be too offput muntons make some great K&K. The muntons smuggler and scottish ales are great. I also hear great things about the other premuim range.

A few AHB guys have said that you cant make a proper pils style beer (which I guess a blonde would fall into a similar style) with K&K. I have no comment on this as I dont AG. Might be some truth to it though.

EDIT: I should mention that the Muntons Smuggler Ale took ages to condition before it was drinkable (quite sweet). Some of that was most likely due to the bottles priming (ie gasing up), but some of it may have just been the beer conditioning.

did you do a diacetyl rest?

could also be from the malt extract. most stuff you buy has been mashed pretty high and as such doesnt ferment out that well. not a problem for ales, but when doing lagers and you end up with too much residual sweetness it can be.

Did a diacetyl rest for 3 days prior to kegging & filtering. I probably won't do this kit again.
Thanks for your replies

Back